Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Mechanic ripping me off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic ripping me off!

Today 03:13 AM by Scuba2424
2006 Camshaft phasers
Help! Mechanic ripping me off! It's march 17th 2015 and my truck has been in the shop since late December 2014... I have a 2006 F-150 5.4. It was running rough so I took it to a local mechanic who showed a code of one of the cylinders missing etc. Ge determined it needed one coil pack and one plug around 260.00. He broke the plug off and had to pull apart the top part of my motor from what I understand is to allow him better access to the broke plug. No problem really at this point. Well, while he had easy access to the broken plug, he decided to replace all plugs (guess he had easy access to all 8), he did not ask me first but okay at least I get new plugs... Anyway, it was all good while he was replacing the other 7 plugs until he got to the last plug nearest to the cab on the passengers side and broke it off. A portion of the plug was laying on my piston, I could see it... This is where I think the failures begin. My mechanic attempted for weeks to extract the piece of the broken plug and told me worst case he's have to pull the head (s). At this point no choice... Well he pulled the heads, I think both... Anyway, in the process he retrieved the broken plug on the piston and put the engine back together. Then the next thing I know he says he is having problems with some type timing or cam sensor throwing a computer error code. He then replaced the sensor with no luck. Next thing I know I go there and he has ordered both cam shafts (round sprocket looking deals) without asking and is replacing those. I went in to this shop for a coil pack and plug for 260.00. Now the bill is 1,850. I am going to dispute these charges. Can someone here please help me! Tell my why the 2 cam shafts were replaced and what you can recommend is fair I pay? Again, even without my permission I'm okay with the new plugs as I got something out of it but I feel everything that happened after he broke that lady plug should be his responsibility. IE: I think what is fair is what I could take my truck into a ford dealer and say replace all my plugs. Maybe 800.00 for plugs and 75.00 for each broken plug? I'm good with that... What I'm not good with is all the mistakes and cause and affects of his mistakes. He enemy said sling the way he had to order tools he didn't have and that was one reason it took so long. Anyone have any idea what is a fair price? Thank you, Steve
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Is this a Ford dealership or a large, reputable shop?

Any shop that does a bunch of expensive work, without clearing it with the owner of the vehicle first, deserves to lose the money on the job they just did. That's doing shady business. Did you sign anything before they worked on your car? Make sure they didn't get you to sign something giving them full permission to do all work, regardless of expense.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Be the squeaky wheel. He may be dragging this out but you have let it go too far also. You can refuse to pay but remember he has the right to sell your truck using a mechanics lien to cover his bill. I'd pay the guy and have your truck towed out of his shop right away. You can always sue him later and go to the BBB with a complaint. BTW $1850 is not a lot of money if he fixed the problem. Buyer be ware...... Good luck

Quick Reply: Mechanic ripping me off!