Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Manifold to Exhaust joint leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold to Exhaust joint leak

After fixing the exhaust manifold studs for both sides on my 2000 5.4L and replacing the manifold to engine gaskets, I've developed a leak at the manifold to exhaust joint on the driver's side.

I've tried using high-temp RTV (didn't think it would work) and it blew out after a 8-hour trip hauling a car and trailer. I'm going to attempt to use some muffler cement this time, but I'm not very optimistic. I've got another 4-hour trip to haul horses coming up this weekend, so I hope I can find a working solution soon.

The exhaust is clamped on well, but I can see that the collar is damaged/rusted through in one spot, causing the leak.

Is there any good solution to this problem that doesn't involve me replacing my Y-pipe? Something with that many cats on it has got to cost quite a bit.

Is there a gasket/gasket material that I can place between the manifold and exhaust before tightening it down? Is there some other method to fix this? Surely I'm not the first person to have this happen...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM
BadMoFO

how did you end up fixing it? i have the same problem. gonna try exhast cement today but i don't think that it will work tooo much pressure anxious to here how u made out.
thanxs
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 AM

Had an exhaust shop make new flares for both sides. They welded them up to the old flares and I've had no problems since. Cheap and effective.

Quick Reply: Manifold to Exhaust joint leak