Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Maintenance Firsts

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Firsts

Good Morning,

I just purchased an 02 XL 4.2L and I'm looking to kinda go over it with a fine tooth comb. Upgrading from a 99 Ranger V6 4.0L. As far as vehicle experience goes, I'd rate myself at about a 5 or 6 (on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being 'Can put gas in it' to 10 being 'complete teardown and rebuild'). I'm comfortable with changing brakes, rotors, alternator, light electrical work, plugs, filters, etc. Anything involving the removal of 20 or more screws/ bolts/ fasteners I typically leave to my mechanic.

The previous owner of this truck had the oil changed religiously at 3000 - 5000 miles. (every stinking receipt is in the glove box). I've got a very detailed report of all the maintenance done on this truck as it was a fleet truck and went through GM Fleet Care.

What seems to be missing from all of this maintenance is some of the regular stuff like plugs and coolant and tranny flushes etc.

The truck has 213,000 miles on it and I'd like to know where I should start for 'tuning' this up to get the best mileage out of it.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

New Plugs:
Bosch Platinum IR 4509 Plugs:
Amazon Amazon

New Wires:
Bosch 09459 Plug Wire Set:
Amazon Amazon

New Serpentine Belt:
Gates K061031 Belt:
Amazon Amazon

New Headlight Bulbs:
Sylvania 9007SU BP SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight - Pack of 2
Amazon Amazon
I know the headlights will not add any sort of performance improvement, but I GOTTTTTA brighten up the front of this thing!!!

Air Filter/ Cold Air Intake
K&N 57-2550 FIPK Air Intake 97-04 V6 4.2L
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...Q5fAccessories

Any Recommendations on fluids I should be putting in this thing?

I'm thinking a few rounds of high mileage formulated oil with K&N Oil Filters (unless there's a better option???)

This will be a daily driver and I'm looking for mileage (mpg) gains. Currently I'm at a stock setup, but definitely looking to consider an exhaust overhaul, and possibly a tuner purchase (which is a whole 'nother confusion!!!!!!)

Lets get the 'easy' stuff out of the way first!!!

Thanks for all of your help!

Quick Reply: Maintenance Firsts