Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Lower ball joint / control arm HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower ball joint / control arm HELP...

1997 F150 XLT 4x4 with 155k. Dealer tole me I need new upper control arm and ball joint and new lower ball joints. $1200 quote. Thought I'd try on my own. Question I have is whether or not anyone knows if the lower ball joint can be replaced alone, or if the whole lower control arm needs to be rplaced?? Haynes says must replace complete unit. Seems quite a pain to replace whole lower control arm...Ball joint would be much easier...any thoughts or advise??
Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

my chilton says that the ball joints are an integral part and are not servicable. replacing the joint means replacing the control arm they gotcha.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks. Sounds like they've got me!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM

u can replace just ball joint on lowers but uppers are all 1 unit if u have 4x4
Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
A-hole's Wife

If I am not mistaken.....the upper has to be the whole control arm. But you should ber able to replace the lower. I sell them all day long.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like everyone says, you can replace just the bottom ball joint, but you need to replace the entire upper control arm. make sure you get ball joints that have zurks fittings on them so you can grease them.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mnkanderson
1997 F150 XLT 4x4 with 155k. Dealer tole me I need new upper control arm and ball joint and new lower ball joints. $1200 quote. Thought I'd try on my own. Question I have is whether or not anyone knows if the lower ball joint can be replaced alone, or if the whole lower control arm needs to be rplaced?? Haynes says must replace complete unit. Seems quite a pain to replace whole lower control arm...Ball joint would be much easier...any thoughts or advise??
Hey mnk you are best to have the work done professionally believe me it requires alot of specific tools and, those parts are not something i reccomend doing in your own garage !I know it seems like alot of cash however the end result is worry free to @ least a professional extent! any of your undergear should be replaced professionally in my opinion only,think safety first friend for you your familly and others good luck and take care f-150 friend!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Katt
If I am not mistaken.....the upper has to be the whole control arm. But you should ber able to replace the lower. I sell them all day long.
The upper is an ''essembly'' ie more than one pice /all in one! and the lower is simply ball joint replacement
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto from here, and I have done front ends it isn't all that hard if you have the tools, however to get a proper tool set which you most likely only use once does not make sense. As I keep saying take it to a good Frame and Axle shop and let them do it. There is a feeling of peace when you fork over the loot after this kind of repair job knowing you are clean, and you still have all of your extremities. One thing, as Ty points out make sure who ever does installation installs zert grease fittings to the ball joints they will last so much longer if you can grease them a couple of times a year. Or you can join those of us who are into Truck Wrenching S&M, and you know who you are one when you can look at the scars on your hands and remember which vehical and what you where doing to it when your hands where smashed, crushed, cut, gouged, pinched, and burnt. You remember each blood blister, and each blue finger nail.

Last edited by transmaster; 02-13-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the advise and insight! As usual with this type of project, I decided to put my years of "home mechanic" experience to the test. Being as this is a 3rd vehicle used for weekend recreation and such, I wasn't too worried about getting it back together right away if I got stuck.

Purchased all the parts locally for around $230. Rented the ball joint tool (which they didn't actually charge for....Nice Guys!!) and took to it. With a couple bored friends and a few cold ones, we were finished within 3 hours. Was very easy with the ball joint tool. Drove to the alignment shop for adjustment and final torque settings and all is well. With the alignment, total cost right around $350.

Again, thanks for all the experience and insight! This is a great place for HELP.

M

Quick Reply: Lower ball joint / control arm HELP...