Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

low RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default low RPM issue

Hey guys, bought an 2005 f150 3v 5.4l v8 with 143k on it, when i bought it, i knew i needed to do oil change soon, so at 145k i decided to do one, went to auto zone bought 7qts of Pennzoil 5w-20 platinum synthetic oil, with a Bosch oil filter. and a new air filter.

First let me say i have done my own oil changes and brakes since i was driving. been working on jeeps and trucks with my buddies for ever, i am very comfortable doing these. My truck before the issue was idling at about 1200RPM and i did my oil change. started up the engine, idled fine at like 1500RPm then shot up to 2000rpm and then was slowly moving down to 800 and stay around then. Later that night i went to go hang out with an old friend, truck was idling low at red lights and would go around 600! and stalled out. where i put it in neutral and started it back up driving with 2 feet until i got home, looked under the truck to find i was pissing oil out of the filter, this has never happened before, went an auto parts store in another vehicle where they say i double gasket it. drove home and took off the new filter and looked at both new and old, both had the gaskets on them. put the new one on and topped off the oil. so that couldn't be it. so i decided to drive it to the auto parts store and see if they could help it. the employee asked if i filled up recently(which i did at circle k for 2.93) figured maybe it was bad gas. to which he sold me some Sea foam to balance out my gas tank clean the injectors and all that stuff.. still having issues. i called Goodyear up and was asking them also if they would a tune up(truck had a rough idle since i bought it) and to see what was causing the low idle, they wanted to charge me 700 bucks at $43 a spark plug plus labor and if they broke a spark plug(5.4s known for it) it would be a new head and would charge me 500 bucks a head! called my local mechanic he could do the job for 300-400 hundred. but i still dont know what is causing the low rpms,

all i did was change the oil, oil filter and a new airfilter...

got an appointment where they are going to run an engine diagnoistics with it. to see the problem.

sorry for bouncing from subject to subject.
any help is appreciated.

thanks! you guys rock!

Quick Reply: low RPM issue