Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Loss of power and idles like garbage

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power and idles like garbage

hey guys I'm new to the forum. I looked around on here and didn't find a thread with much help on the subject. I have an 06 f150 5.4L 3 valve. I have 162000 miles. The other day I passed a rig on the side of the road, I didn't Matt it but gave it a little gas, now my truck is running like garbage. No power at all and it idles terrible. I'm thinking possibly cam phasers. It threw a code for the left bank cam positioning sensor, I changed it bit made no difference. I spoke to a shop and they recommended I put an oil cleaner in the truck and that may fix my problems. I really don't feel It could be that simple. I have all ready done a tune up, new manifolds, fpcm, air and fuel filters. I run full synthetic oil. I've just put over $2500 inthis truck a month ago and now I'm back in the crap. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
TWA

Happened to me also. TWO WEEKS AFTER I GOT MY TRUCK. i dont want to tell you this, but the dealership dropped a new engine in my truck due to the cost. they didnt even tell us what it was. Good luck. dont worry about it until it starts staling on you, and when it start rumbling just rev it.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Yikes! I can't even drive it! It's really bad and the check engine light flashes almost non stop if I try to. I've had the truck for about 3 years and have dumped buckets of cash in to it. I only paid $8000 for it with a brand new plow and sold the plow right away for $3000 but I still shouldn't be having these problems. I maintain this truck meticulously. I use full synthetic oil every 3000-3500 with out fail. I have the transmission, transfer case and diffs done every spring (I know that's excessive but hey it costs more to replace them). Most important, I really drive it like a grandma. It's used for going to work and occasionally to take my quad camping with me. Well maybe I'll just sell it.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

A Flashing CEL indicates a mis-fire condition...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Happened to me i had a misfire in the passenger side which later clogged both cats on 'that side replaced everything at my mechanic for around 700
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Ok So with the truck sitting for the last three weeks I had to replace the starter also. Ok I changed the coil in cylinder 6 like the code said. Also I changed the cam positioning sensor on bank 2 like it said. I fired it up every thing was great for about 50 feet down the road. Then the cel came back in and still says cps bank 2. And also intermittent cps bank 2. The truck is still running like crap. Anymore ideas? I'm at a loss. The repair costs are really adding up and I'm at my wits end.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moose83
Ok So with the truck sitting for the last three weeks I had to replace the starter also. Ok I changed the coil in cylinder 6 like the code said. Also I changed the cam positioning sensor on bank 2 like it said. I fired it up every thing was great for about 50 feet down the road. Then the cel came back in and still says cps bank 2. And also intermittent cps bank 2. The truck is still running like crap. Anymore ideas? I'm at a loss. The repair costs are really adding up and I'm at my wits end.
Did you reset your computer in your truck yet?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 PM

I had the battery unhooked when I changed the starter so that cleared the codes out. Are you saying I should do it with the scanner? I'm not confident that's gonna change anything.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Moose83
I had the battery unhooked when I changed the starter so that cleared the codes out. Are you saying I should do it with the scanner? I'm not confident that's gonna change anything.
You gotta touch your terminals together while its unhooked though, i had the same problem i did a tune up oil change and had to change a coil and new cat i added an exhaust at the same time and it fixed it my CEL is still on but its just for a vacuum leak which is probably a pvc valve ill replace that next, is your CEL still blinking? Cause i had to change the coil and do a tune up to clear the misfire
Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 PM

Also I noticed when I shut it off it smelled a Lil strange from the exhaust

Quick Reply: Loss of power and idles like garbage