Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Locating fried wires

Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locating fried wires

The wife took my truck (05 F150) to he beach (never again) and left the key in the ignition and the battery went dead. She got some ya-hoo to jump start it and he put the cables on backwards. She finally got it started but now Im smelling some burnt wires under the dash and can't locate them. Fuse box looks fine. Any thought on where it fried the wires?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

You are probably smelling the battery cable insulation. Check your cable for any spots they may have melted of or just replace them to give you peace of mind, after you give your wife a piece of your mind...
Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

just be happy she didnt blow the battery up. check the battery cables.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Good lesson for all DO NOT jump off your vehicle with another vehicle. On average its about 1000.00 in damage for each vehicle brought in to the shop where something happend when jumping it off. One BMW was 9000.00 in damage a Chevy truck was 1400.00 in damage. Its cheaper to call a wrecker or go buy a jump box. /me stepping off my soap box now.

There is probably damage and you are smelling the after effects of it. I know we had a Mustang that it burned the ignition switch pigtail and we did not actually find it until months later when it finally lost contact with the ignition switch itself.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Checked the main cables and they are fine. The smell is coming from inside under the dash. Ill look closer... I told her she (or I) was lucky she made it home with out burning my truck up.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
Good lesson for all DO NOT jump off your vehicle with another vehicle. On average its about 1000.00 in damage for each vehicle brought in to the shop where something happend when jumping it off. One BMW was 9000.00 in damage a Chevy truck was 1400.00 in damage. Its cheaper to call a wrecker or go buy a jump box. /me stepping off my soap box now.

There is probably damage and you are smelling the after effects of it. I know we had a Mustang that it burned the ignition switch pigtail and we did not actually find it until months later when it finally lost contact with the ignition switch itself.
Thanks, Ive learned my lesson// If she wants to drive a truck she can go buy her own. As for the wires--If I can't locate the damage, Im sure It will show its ugly face eventually.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Chris

Originally Posted by NGM

jumping a vehicle with another vehicle isn't the problem. its how you hook it up, that's the problem. people don't really know how to properly jump a vehicle.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pity7700
jumping a vehicle with another vehicle isn't the problem. its how you hook it up, that's the problem. people don't really know how to properly jump a vehicle.
Here is why its a problem. You have 1 vehicle with a dead battery another vehicle pumping 13.5 to 14 volts hooked up. Now you start the dead vehicle and its alternator comes on putting out 13.5-14 volts nominal. Now while cranking the dead one the alternator on the running one kicks into high gear. When you have both of them running for a short period of time you can have (not always) too much voltage for sensative systems causing them to fry. I saw 26 volts one time when jumping a vehicle off and I will never do it again after that.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Chris

Originally Posted by NGM
Here is why its a problem. You have 1 vehicle with a dead battery another vehicle pumping 13.5 to 14 volts hooked up. Now you start the dead vehicle and its alternator comes on putting out 13.5-14 volts nominal. Now while cranking the dead one the alternator on the running one kicks into high gear. When you have both of them running for a short period of time you can have (not always) too much voltage for sensative systems causing them to fry. I saw 26 volts one time when jumping a vehicle off and I will never do it again after that.
yes, like I said. the problem is when you have someone jumping a car without the proper knowledge.

shut the running vehicle off before you try starting the dead vehicle after you let the dead battery charge or simply pull the negative cable off. sometimes you can jump the dead car without starting the car doing the jumping, mostly never though.

knowledge is a powerful thing.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Chris

another thing NOT to do when jumping a vehicle, don't smack the two loose ends of the cables together to "check for connection" or what have you. dumb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locating fried wires