Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

A little trouble with my F150.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:29 AM
All Around Nerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A little trouble with my F150.

I hope I'm posting in the correct place. Please move and forgive me if I'm not. This seems to be the "troubleshooting" section, if you will.

My husband and I bought a 1997 Ford F150 Supercab (engine is 4.6L, I think) recently, and while it runs decently, there are a few problems it has that I'm wondering if we can fix ourselves (we're on a tight budget, and we're fast learners).

1.) Passenger side power window doesn't work. I'm assuming the motor is blown (don't have a way of testing it though). Easy to fix? I'm hoping so because we at least need both windows working to get some air flowing in here because apparently, there's no A/C installed.

2.) Possible electrical problems (bad cluster)? The day we bought the truck, the gauge panel stopped working, but a quick knock got it working again. About two weeks back, it did this on the way home from the store, and we couldn't get it working, so we let it go. Apparently, that caused it to drain the battery (because it was deader than a doornail the next morning)? In any case, every now and then, we have to tap the panel with a hammer to get the gauges working again. Also, we lost the inside lights and panel lights around the same time (blown fuse?).

3.) One of the window sprayers is missing, and the other is unplugged. Can the one be replaced, and also, can I just go ahead and plug the one in (it's just the passenger side sprayer that's missing, I think) so we have one, at least?

4.) Finally, my brother-in-law (who thinks he knows a lot about vehicles) pointed out that the radiator fan isn't moving, but the truck isn't overheating at all (and we've moved two heavy loads with it). Something to worry over anyway?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me; I appreciate it lots. I have to say that I love this truck. Apparently, it can take a licking and keep on ticking.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Navy Engineer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all welcome aboard. As far as the window goes If you can't let it down or up using either switch than it's probrolly the motor. Yes it's something that ya'll can't fix yourselves. And you say the whole gauge panel stops working and you knocked it and it can back I would say you have a loose wire somewhere under the dash. Did you or your hubby look at the fan to see if it was turning with the engine running?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:18 AM
All Around Nerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate the help, and thanks for welcoming me, too.

Any idea on how much replacing the motor in the door will set us back? And I figured as much about the loose wire connection, too (or figured one may be almost eaten through). I've got a guide on how to pull the gauge panel out (it was about cluster swapping; found it through here), but I don't have some of the tools to fix it yet. We've had no problems with the truck since the day we had to replace the battery (but that battery looked so old, that it may have just been done anyway), so I'm hoping it can wait until we get the proper tools to have a look.

As for the radiator fan, I had a brainfart and said the wrong thing. I'd thought he said the fan wasn't running (I'd assumed he had the engine running when he took a look at it), but my husband corrected me just now: apparently, my brother-in-law just made a big stink about how there "was no belt" on the fan and said we'd overheat soon. That hasn't been the case though.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no belt on the fan pulley??? ummmmmmmmm that operates your water pump also. Its best no to take chances and get a belt for it.

Quick Reply: A little trouble with my F150.