Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Left and Right Bank running lean

Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Left and Right Bank running lean

so i have a 03 f 150 v6 it keeps throwing the code saying both banks are running lean to me this would indicate a bad maf or a vacuum leak i just replaced the maf because of this about 2 or 3 months ago and found a vacuum leak when i replaced the maf this fixed it but the code is back cant find any vacuum leaks and the maf is not that old any ideas why im throwing these codes oh and im only getting 12 mpg highway
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
BODACIOUS

had a 99 4.2l did the same thing i ended up replacing the cats in mine i just went back with two instead of the four that came on it they were throwing a code through the o2 sensors which u also have four on at least mine did you should have two on your manifold and two between the two cats on each bank i would get someone with a fairly advanced scanner (not the one you can buy at wal mart or autozone uses) but they can pinpoint what o2 sensor is throwing these code if that is what is causing it i wouldnt just go out and start replacing stuff til i found out for sure i also had an issue with vaccum on mine the grommets that go into the valve cover i think for the egr were deterorated and caused mine to idle rough just a few thing you might look at hope this helps good luck
Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Please, talk to the local dealership parts people, and if you can get input from the back counter people, they will tell you about the re-accuring, sales of the intake rubber seals and grommets around the bolts securing the black plastic plenum chamber. You are in Colorado and its getting cold throwing codes, do yourself a favor and call. I'm an 02, 178K, I fixed mine by listening to those who fix this stuff.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Wiltshire
Please, talk to the local dealership parts people, and if you can get input from the back counter people, they will tell you about the re-accuring, sales of the intake rubber seals and grommets around the bolts securing the black plastic plenum chamber. You are in Colorado and its getting cold throwing codes, do yourself a favor and call. I'm an 02, 178K, I fixed mine by listening to those who fix this stuff.

Agreed, seen plenty of those in my time.

- JB
Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 AM

thanks guys ill check into it i been pretty broke here lately so i cant really do nothin about it :/
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 AM
JD Rhoads

I got the same problem. I may just break down and take it to a shop. Mine also has an AC problem. When I let off the clutch and accelerate it goes from cold to warm air. Not sure why this happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left and Right Bank running lean