Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

issue(s) with a 2007 F150 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issue(s) with a 2007 F150 5.4

My 07 F150 has had some prolonged problems. Started last year around this time and has progressively gotten worse with no fixes.

The issue now is it started off with driving rough and issues accelerating at a low rpm (1200-1600 range). and at a higher RPM (over 2200) it would bog down to where the engine felt like it would almost choke it self out. Had it in a shop, they didn't find anything, ran a few tests nothing. (this is still the issue present day)

September of '14 fuel pump went, replaced it.

January check engine light came on for a misfire, went away. Then the light came on again and stayed on. This time it was coil pack #5. Replaced and was good.

The acceleration issue began in February. Truck broke down on a trip, had to get towed. Had to replace the Fuel pump and module, drivers side cat converter and 02 sensors. Picked the truck up 3 days later and drove it back to PA. Started stalling out when at a low RPM (same day) and took it to a shop. They replaced cam sensors, phasers, and crank senors.

Truck started to drive like garbage again and the check engine light came on so I took it back, they ran tests and decided the PCM may need replaced. Replaced all plugs and boots and it ran good. Air filter, ran injector cleaner etc. Codes P0340 and P0344 came and stayed on. Nothing has changed with it in 7 months. Truck drives, no noise, just cant accelerate at certain RPMs or it feels like its going to choke itself out (exhaust valves?)\

Passenger side cat was changed over the summer.

Replaced the PCM monday, had it at ford to be programmed and they went for a test drive and the engine light came on. Same P0340 and P0344 and they ran a diagnosis, nothing. They ran a test on all sensors, nothing. Checked the alternator and took the belt off (radio frequencies issues) nothing.

The next step is to remove the valve covers and see if we can find an issue. Any ideas? I don't know if its going to be valves burned up due to the fuel pump and causing the fuel to lean out? cam shaft needs replaced? I'm removing valve covers friday and looking more in depth but want to know if anyones ever had this issue?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by toy0953; 12-09-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you replaced the fuel filter? Checked all the fuel lines for damage, pinching. A compression check should give you a quick idea regarding any valve issues. Easier than pulling the heads for a look. Every problem this engine ever had should be on the record by now. Good luck with it. That is a lot of issues, how many miles. My '06 has 161K on it and I've only had to replace one coil pack. I changed the plugs, they are really only good for 40K miles. By 30K on a new set the gap had already increased from 0.0045" to 0.0075". M1911

I should add we have an '07 6.0 diesel and it runs rough or stops running about every month. We have decided to routinely change both fuel filters every month if necessary. $75 a pop. Ford is unwilling to help even though I'm on my third fuel tank and injectors due to their crappy steel tanks that continue to rust.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 12-14-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here the shop can't figure it out if you figure it out let me know

Quick Reply: issue(s) with a 2007 F150 5.4