Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Interior Lights Flash On and Off

Old 06-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Lights Flash On and Off

The interior lights as well as the cargo light flashes at random. This happens at random and not all the time. It can happen while driving and it happens while vehicle is parked with keys out of ignition. Lights may turn on for a fraction of a second before going off, or may stay on for a few seconds before turning off. Only way to prevent this from happening that I've found is to dial down the toggle switch until in the off position. However, doing this prevents me from having interior lights at night when needed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to resolve the problem? Very frustrating and don't want to drain my battery.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a guess, but since those lights are all controlled by that dimmer switch, I'd suspect a defective switch. Something is connecting when it should not. If you're diagnosing this on your own dime, I'd start by replacing that switch. Easy to do.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by danonbar
Just a guess, but since those lights are all controlled by that dimmer switch, I'd suspect a defective switch. Something is connecting when it should not. If you're diagnosing this on your own dime, I'd start by replacing that switch. Easy to do.
Thanks danonbar. Yes, I'll be trying to repair myself. Don't like to take my truck to shop unless absolutely necessary. Will try to fix myself before taking to shop. Appreciate your help and feedback. I've had a couple people tell me it could be the door sensors, but when the lights flash on, the door ajar light is not lit up. So I don't think that is the problem.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:20 PM
97-F150 Lariat

I see this post is a month old ,so I don't know if you have fixed this problem yet,but if you haven't I may have an answer. This happened to me about a year ago and after alot of testing and searching,I found the fuse box had a couple of loose wires in the rear of it. So you might want to investigate that area if you haven't repaired yet, good luck.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtpaternity
The interior lights as well as the cargo light flashes at random. This happens at random and not all the time. It can happen while driving and it happens while vehicle is parked with keys out of ignition. Lights may turn on for a fraction of a second before going off, or may stay on for a few seconds before turning off. Only way to prevent this from happening that I've found is to dial down the toggle switch until in the off position. However, doing this prevents me from having interior lights at night when needed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to resolve the problem? Very frustrating and don't want to drain my battery.
What year is your truck? Last week I ran into the third 2015 up aluminum truck I've seen flashing the interior lights off and on and all three were a loose ground strap. I posted a video of it on youtube. Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:55 AM

[QUOTE=jtpaternity;4795069]The interior lights as well as the cargo light flashes at random. This happens at random and not all the time. It can happen while driving and it happens while vehicle is parked with keys out of ignition. Lights may turn on for a fraction of a second before going off, or may stay on for a few seconds before turning off. Only way to prevent this from happening that I've found is to dial down the toggle switch until in the off position. However, doing this prevents me from having interior lights at night when needed. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to resolve the problem? Very frustrating and don't want to drain my battery. It is likely a loose ground aka neutral wire right where the connection splits off to the effected lights. Everything before it isn't effected because it had no power interruptions. These lights come on when power is first connected

Last edited by MDHVAC60; 07-17-2022 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:11 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

You've partially quoted a 6-year-dead post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Lights Flash On and Off