Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open

I just bought my 97 f150 with the 4.2L V6 and i had my error codes ran and the only code that came up, i forgot the number, was the intake manifold runner stuck open. i was wondering if this would be something that i can fix myself, I love working on vehicles, or what it will do to the motor or change how it runs.

Thanks for any help
Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Redwolf1155
I just bought my 97 f150 with the 4.2L V6 and i had my error codes ran and the only code that came up, i forgot the number, was the intake manifold runner stuck open. i was wondering if this would be something that i can fix myself, I love working on vehicles, or what it will do to the motor or change how it runs.

Thanks for any help
Your IMRC is vacuum actuated and at that age I would be looking for broken or leaking vacuum lines 1st.

Also those runner control valves tend to get stuck with carbon build up that can be removed and cleaned.

Without hands on there really isn't much more I can say about it.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I was pretty surprised that that was the only error code that came up because the truck has set for a long time. I got it as an abandoned vehicle from my uncle because he fixed it then never got paid and so it set for over a year and a half. I just got it a week ago and it have poured money into it for a full tune up by myself and changed control arms, lower call joints, u-joints, all fluids, brakes, and alot more. For it settin for so long it runs and drives great.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Open