Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Instrument Cluster Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Problems?

Hello all,
I have a 2004 F-150, that has been cranking and running perfectly. I have made no recent modifications, nothing. This morning while heading in to work, literally while driving, my instrument panel lost all power, but the head lights, air and truck itself kept running and got me to work. I got to work and parked, shut off the truck, and then started it again just as a test. It hesitated, but did start back up. Any ideas on what this could be? Wiring, battery, something else? Any advice or help that can be given is very, very appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

You may need a new cluster. Very easy to change although i paid $100 and watched the guy work in my. All you need is a pocket knife or flat head screw driver and pull the dash off above your steering wheel and you'll see the wire harnesses. I believe there are 2 quick disconnects. Maybe a couple of screws but not too sure but after you pull the piece of dash above your steering wheel then it's self explanitory.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. You may be right. I have let the truck sit since this morning, thinking if it were the battery it would likely not crank. I went out and it cranked first try, and the instrument panel came on and worked.. I guess I may have to wait and see if it does it again, though I hate just waiting for something to break. I will check thoroughly for lose connections and cables, maybe it is a one off thing.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Problems?