Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Instrument Cluster Issue, Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Issue, Please Help.

As I drive, or sitting in the driveway, or just about anywhere....the 2007 F-150 truck instrument cluster does the following: I hear a click in the fusebox and the gauges all "act powerless" / completely move to the left....several of the warning lights in the lower left corner of the dash light up....a few seconds pass the speedometer flutters and then everything perks up and runs as if it never happened, except the trip-meter goes back to zero. it causes my battery to be weak.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 PM

did u find the solution as my truck is doing the same thing
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 AM

Default cluster issue

not yet, if I find out anything, I will post it
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection at the instrument cluster due to it losing trip odometer memory, or a bad cluster. Try pulling the cluster and see whats behind it. With the truck running wiggle the wires and see if you can duplicate the problem. I cannot find anything matching this issue so it sounds like you gotta go back to the basics.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrayFordTrucker
As I drive, or sitting in the driveway, or just about anywhere....the 2007 F-150 truck instrument cluster does the following: I hear a click in the fusebox and the gauges all "act powerless" / completely move to the left....several of the warning lights in the lower left corner of the dash light up....a few seconds pass the speedometer flutters and then everything perks up and runs as if it never happened, except the trip-meter goes back to zero. it causes my battery to be weak.
My interior lights would come on sometimes when I went over a but and when i Tapped the dashboard they would go out again, so I removed my instrument cluster and totally disassembled it looking for the problem. What I found was with the instrument cluster circuit board plugged in and flexing it would cycle my interior lights on and off, there was nothing visibly wrong with the circuit board but resoldering all the connections fixed the problem, no more issues with my interior lights but there is one pin connection on the plug on the left that is causing my brake light to be on.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds more like your weak battery is causing the instrument cluster to do this. When you reconnect a battery, your gauges sweep and relays click like you're describing. Monitor battery voltage when the concern occurs.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:59 AM

It took a new cluster and a new alternator to fix it all.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Same problem-video to show

I have the exact same problem right now.

I have run into the electrical nightmare I didn't want in buying a used 2012 F-150 XTR 5.0L 4x4 w/ factory tow package.

This nightmare first began this year after it had rained outside.

After starting up the truck in the driveway the dash showed the battery light. Then it got worse.

We took the truck in to a Ford dealer and they replaced the alternator. Well that turned out not to be the problem.

Now whether it's sitting in the driveway or driving the whole dash will die out then come back binging, showing the battery light and the radio cuts out with it. Sometimes the radio and climate control cuts out while the dash still works and then comes back and then the dash and radio go all haywire cutting in and out. Every time it does this I hear a click from the computer behind the kick panel, but the wife says it's coming from under the dash.

It's been back to the dealer twice now and the last time they said they took out and took apart the harness checking it for water and or corrosion and found nothing. Then the mech said he found the problem in the computer by the passenger side kick panel saying the harness wasn't plugged in all the way. That made no sense to me but ok.

Turns out that wasn't it either and the problem continues. So back to the dealership it goes Monday. Worst part is the Ford Factory warranty is over(was shocked to find out it's only a two year warranty) so this is covered by my extended warranty I bought with the truck from a private insurer.

Here's a video to show what we see on the dash.
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/caw_...FCB.mp4.html.d

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Issue, Please Help.