Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

I'm a new F150 owner/forum member TIPS needed...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a new F150 owner/forum member TIPS needed...?

New to the site, bought my 2010 Lariat 5.4 Screw in January with 62K miles on it. It was a farm truck in Arkansas and had accumulated a lot of dirt throughout. I recently spent an entire Saturday detailing every crevice including engine bay. Used Gunk foamy engine cleaner, detail brushes, the worx.

The truck was already running great, but I wanted to make sure I had a fresh start so I've changed the belt (Gatorback quiet belt with some CRC belt conditioner), dropped in a K&N air filter, and cleaned out the throttle body, air intake system, and MAF with the CRC cleaner also. I got new Kelly Safari AT tires in the deal and installed the Superchips Flashpaq canned 87 octane tune (running like a dream so far).

The coolant looks relatively clean, but I'm assuming it could use a flushing along with a transmission fluid flush and rear axle fluid swap just to KNOW for sure the last service intervals.

I'm a big DIYer and have owned two ford explorers, but this F-150 was my dream truck. Glad to be a proud member of the FORD F-150 club.

Any recommendations for me???
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I would change the filter on the trans as well. Apparently ford says its not necessary but that makes zero sense to me. Dropping the pan to access and replace the filter also allows you to clean the magnet and gunk out of the pan. I do mine every 25k miles to be on the safe side. Ive seen and had trans go 200k+ with this maintenance routine. If you find a yellow plug in the pan it probably hasnt been changed before, its just a plug used during assembly...you can toss it.

Also check your manual for atf type. My 2010 uses some wierd ford stuff I could only find at ford. Of course the lady at oriely said this stuff off the shelf would work, but it wasnt correct.

Other then the fluids/filters already mentioned Id also do the fuel filter and you should be good for quite awhile!

In general these trucks are very reliable just keep ip on regular maintenance like your doing and you should be fine.

Last edited by M&D; 03-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 1997 ford f150 4x4 extended cab stepside, the turn signals dont work outside or inside.

I have replaced all fuese and the flasher relay under the dash on the right side, it has constant power in, and power to the emergency flasher work fine but no power to the turn signals.

Am i missing something. HELP PLEASE!!!! i have been trying to fix them for weeks. Thanks.

Quick Reply: I'm a new F150 owner/forum member TIPS needed...?