Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

If and how should I service my 04 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If and how should I service my 04 transmission

Little bit about the truck...

2004 screw fx4 so its the 5.4 3v with auto tranny. 75k right meow. Bought from previous/original owner at 65k in 2012. In September 2010 at 51k he had a transmission fluid exchange done at the dealer. He towed a car on a trailer down the freeway a couple times per year, and I do zero towing but have put 33s. Most of my miles are freeway but around 20% is city.

I am a big preventative maintenance guy. The week I bought it I had front and rear dif fluids changed, t case fluid changed, coolant, brake fluid, belt, oil, and fuel filter.

I will be keeping this truck until summer 2015 for sure, at which point I graduate and will look into a newer truck possibly, but I've always favored this body style.

So, do I service the tranny and if so, how?

Dropping the pan and doing filter, gasket, and fresh 6 qts seems ok since it had all new fluid at 51k. Doing a fluid exchange gets me 14 new qts but leave the original filter in. Doing the exchange, then dropping the pan and replacing the filter seems best. Obviously don't want to drop the pan, replace filter, then move the remaining 8 qts through the new filter, then do the exchange.

I know the guys at my dealer and will get a decent price, 200-250 for the exchange and 200-250 for the drop/filter/gasket.

What would you do? Money isn't the biggest concern, but I wonder if I can get away until next summer when I know if I'll be selling it or not. Is saving 500 bucks worth risking a new tranny? Any thoughts are welcomed!

Quick Reply: If and how should I service my 04 transmission