Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

I Need Your Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Your Opinion

Hey I have a 93 8ft bed, I wanna know what you guys think I should do. I care about my truck and i don't wanna scrap it so I'm not sure if i should spend the 700+ shipping from LMC to buy new panels, or should i Bondo it, and if I do how often do I have to maintain it? is it hard? cheap/expensive? just give me your input on what you think I should do. I can check junkyards, but most of them are rusty to.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 PM
97F-150XLT

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a body man but I do work with metal. If you have access to a Mig welder I would buy some 16ga-18ga sheet metal with a die grinder back to the good metal, and replace it. Then you can go from there with some sanding and some body filler to smooth. It appears that there is to much damage to Bondo our any kind of body filler. Is the damage all the way thru to the under side. If you cut out the bad metal be sure and use compressed air and clean the area out very good and even spray some rust inhibiter on the inside of the fender panel. I know this sounds like a lot but if you can't find a bed to replace this one with it may be the way to go. Some one may have a better idea, so stand by for a better idea from a true body man.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 PM

the rust is not through to the other side which lam happy about, and I would love to do that but I don't have a mig welder
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM

I need some ideas guys...Should I bondo it and let that last this winter and get body work done next summer? I got the body work quoted at 1200 for new metal, paint and everything, or should I get it fixed when I have the money (middle of New England winter). I hate driving it like this, so just let me know, thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Dre

I don't know. if that was me I would cut all the rust out and just weld a piece in there... as long as you can get a nice curve... bonod it and paint... then use some POR15 or some other sh** on the other side to make sure rust is not coming back... just me though.

If you just bondo it... you'll keep fixing it every year - rust will keep at it though
Old 09-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you check to see if lmc has smaller pannles to fix just the common rust spots.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 AM

yeah I think they have just the replacement panels on LMC, would it be easier to by the replacement and have someone weld that in? Or just get the rust replaced with metal?..I never though of that..I don't really wanna bondo it cuz like you said it will just come back
Old 09-23-2007, 02:56 AM

Ty your the best man, I didn't look into it to hard cuz I thought it was for the 6ft. beds or flareside but they sell just the arc piece for 40 bucks, So i get to of those then just get someone to wield them in and im good. Thanks so much for pointing that out. Thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ty
did you check to see if lmc has smaller pannles to fix just the common rust spots.
I had come across panels just for these areas some time back. The place I had my truck done at was SUPPOSED to have used them, but they just cut out(supposedly) the bad areas and bondo'd them up. It took one winter for the rust to come back- it's bubbling in numerous spots.

This was at a Ford dealership btw. They did have the problem of the guy who started things leaving. That's when I showed up and noticed he had not put in those replacement panels. The new guy and the dealership convinced me everything would be fine- just leave it and paint it as is.

Now I'm having a little problem having them do things over- and doing it right. I did get a 2 year rust warranty with them, so I'm not about to go away....

Anyway..if anyone comes across those panels please post the links. I'll look around myself.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:07 PM

you want me to post the link to the panels from LMC? ill be happy to

Quick Reply: I Need Your Opinion