Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

I have a 2011 F150 4+4 problem:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 2011 F150 4+4 problem:(

It has been just 10 dAys since Iv purchased a brand new 2011 XTR 4+4 supercrew truck and it's been in the shop for all but 3 days:. Upon arrival and pick up of my truck I had driven to Niagra falls for the weekend and then Thats when the problems started. 375km my battery light comes up in the dash cluster. After being prompted to acknowledge the sensor by pressing ok on the steering wheel to clear the sensor fault my truck begins to start acting up to the point of the rpm's fluctuating and air in the vents begin to lose pressure and then gain pressure back and forth. I obviously become concerned and immediately drive to the nearest ford dealership. Upon arrival they had put the truck on the computer to test the alternater and battery and an overall system check and to no avail they tell me that they can't seem to find the problem and send me away saying the system check can't find anything and that my battery light sensor has since then cleared. So off I go and begin to drive my truck again down the road and then yet again the battery light appears again. I begin to drive my truck and continue to reset the sensor upon it activating numerous times. I figure I would take it to the dealership I purchased it from first thing Monday morning. Upon arrival to my dealership they tested my truck and came up with diagnosting it needs an alternater. Guess what? Alternater is on backorder for a week and we are due for a huge snowstorm. So the dealership decides to pull one out of a new truck on the lot and installs it. Tested And charged I'm on my way home with my baby. The next day comes along and I begin to drive it for awhile and it appears it's happening again so I continue to drive the truck and I figure out I'll take it in the next day after I'm done work. Lucky me I get out of work and my truck dont start, so I call ford roadside assistance and have them tow my truck to the dealership and to this day it is still in the shop being looked at. The shop called head of ford and explained to then the issue and ford says it's a wiring harness defect and they need to replace it. Guess what? Backorder once again. So now I'm just sitting here waiting for the part to come in to replace the faulty one. I just hope Thsts the problem with it
Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks, sorry. But know bad batteries can cause these symptoms also.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 AM

Just picked up the truck rnstertoday and they replaced a wiring harness that is connected to the main computer. I guess it's the harness which sends signals to the computer to charge the alternater. I'm not really sure if that's the exacts that may of made this happen. Do to all the problems and hassles Iv been through considering Iv had the truck for 3 days if the 2 and half weeks since Iv purchased it they are throwing in an extended warranty and first months payment. I guess Thsts just piece of mind considering what Iv been through. So kudos to ford for backing there product and taking care if there customers.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Same issue as above

I purchased my 2011 F-150 4x4 with 11 miles. It was in the shop for 10/14 days. We had the same issues with it riding rough and the battery signal. The PCM and alternator were replaced. We continued with the same issue. Our dealership assisted us with a replacement truck without the help of Ford. New identical truck had approx. 350 miles. We have owned it for 2 weeks. Woke up this morning and the truck will not start. It was jumpstarted and our dealership came and picked up the truck this morning. Hoping they find and fix the problem.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Same problem!

My problem started at 5500 miles. I was on a trip and the battery light came on, but went off in about a minute. Each day when working, it started out coming on only once or twice a day. Within a few days it was up to coming on 12-14 times a day. My dealer kept the truck a few days and replcaed the alternator. The next day after I picked it up, the light came on again. Took it back to the dealer and they kept it for a week and then replaced the CPU. Again, the light came on the next day after picking it up. I took it back to the dealer and they kept it for about a week, replacing the wiring harness. I have had it back for 10 days now and no problems! I hope that was it.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Default Battery Light

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the thread. I have the same issues so it is good that I am not alone here. 6th time in the shop in the last 2 weeks for my 2011 f150 xtr super cab with ~9500kms....Canada eh! They have scrached their head and sent me home, replaced the battery, replaced relays and now are replacing the alternator but I am skeptical on whether or not this is the solution. I am beginning to think now that it may also be a wiring harness issue as with yours. I will pass this on to my dealer and this is starting to look like a potential for recall.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM

This is good info. My F150 XLT w/5.0 only has 3K on it. I've had a knock in the engine since 400 mls and two different dealers tell me its normal. Know i'm reading about this wiring harness thing. Basically what i'm taking away from this and my own problems with these trucks is that they are junk and Ford has their head up there but. This truck was the first and last Ford vehicle I will own and as soon as I can I will be trading back to a Chevy or GMC.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 PM

I've got a 2011 F150 Screw 4X4 with 32,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner and have had it since May this year and have already had to replace the water pump, the wiring harness, alternator and now it's back in the shop to have the alternator and wiring harness replaced again. Both time i lost power steering while driving since the new trucks power steering is electric. Had my wife been driving she wouldn't have been able to steer it at all, and with two young kids I'd say it's quite a safety issue. any advice on how to handle this? with a vehicle this expensive, new and well maintained i should not be having this issue. It's my first Ford and I was expecting a much better quality truck.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 PM

OH! and the also found a coolant leak! i haven't made any modifications and the closest it's been off road is a dirt parking lot at the naval station.

Quick Reply: I have a 2011 F150 4+4 problem:(