Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Huge decrease in gas mileage...no codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge decrease in gas mileage...no codes

So I did some major work on my truck lately and some much needed maintenance. I replaced the engine because my brother destroyed my other engine. I have also cleaned my intake, throttle body, and injectors. I replaced the injector o-rings, replaced the fuel pump and filter etc. I used to average 18 mpg highway and now I cant get any better than 11-12 mpg. I used an obdII scanner to check the ecu and there are no thrown codes or anything stored in the system. Truck seems to run fine, still makes plenty of power etc but I can't replicate the mileage I used to get before my engine overhaul. Any ideas?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 AM

Sorry, didn't realize my truck info was not shown. I have an '03 F150 Extended Cab with the 4.6 Romeo Engine and 5 speed manual. I replaced it with n '04 4.6L possibly the romeo vin...don't remember, with only 45K miles on the odo. The previous owner had the motor sitting around for a while and I found out about him through a friend. He replaced it with an LS1 swap because he was building a prerunner and wanted a better platform.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

An 04 is a 3 valve, where your 03 had and was set up for the 2 valve
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bryson
An 04 is a 3 valve, where your 03 had and was set up for the 2 valve
My bad, the new engine is a 2 valve from an '03 not an '04.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Do you have a thermostat in your motor and is it the correct thermostat for the motor. If your engine is running cool, it will not give you the fuel economy that it was designed for. you could also be getting bad readings from certain of your sensors like the temperature sensor or the MAF sensor may be dirty and in need of cleaning. It doesn't cost much to check all your grounds to make sure they are clean and free of corrosion and you don't have any sensors that are not hooked up. I am also wondering if your PCM is not a correct match for the new engine you have installed. The PCM should be getting all the readings from your engine and adjusting the fuel flow to give you optimal fuel economy and emmisions control.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_Ford
Do you have a thermostat in your motor and is it the correct thermostat for the motor. If your engine is running cool, it will not give you the fuel economy that it was designed for. you could also be getting bad readings from certain of your sensors like the temperature sensor or the MAF sensor may be dirty and in need of cleaning. It doesn't cost much to check all your grounds to make sure they are clean and free of corrosion and you don't have any sensors that are not hooked up. I am also wondering if your PCM is not a correct match for the new engine you have installed. The PCM should be getting all the readings from your engine and adjusting the fuel flow to give you optimal fuel economy and emmisions control.
I used most of the stuff that came with the new engine. The thermostat is original, and all of the grounds were checked before and after installation. I engine got a thorough inspection before installation. I will see about replacing the thermostat and cleaning the maf and temp sensors. I don't believe the pcm is an issue as the motor is exactly the same as the one that was taken out.

Quick Reply: Huge decrease in gas mileage...no codes