Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

How to store tires? For years...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to store tires? For years...

So pretty much that, I bought aftermarket wheels with my brand new truck, OEM wheels and tires have 10 km on them, but I want to keep the wheels and tires for when I need new tires in about 3 yrs. I have searched and cannot find an answer that doesn't talk only about seasonal storage (winter tires).

So what's the best way to store rims and tires for about 3 yrs without worrying about them getting flat spots weather check cracks or anything else that could go wrong.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Sell them and buy new ones when you need them. Tires have conditioners in the rubber that works when the tire gets used. If they sit the tires will start to dry out, that is why it is never a good idea to buy old tires.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Sell them and buy new ones when you need them. Tires have conditioners in the rubber that works when the tire gets used. If they sit the tires will start to dry out, that is why it is never a good idea to buy old tires.
That's pretty cut and dry there....anything to back it up? 3 yrs on non use and tires are done?
Old 07-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I'd have to agree. You're not gonna be able to let them sit for 3 years. Just pull your others off and list them on Craigslist.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OxfordSpecial
That's pretty cut and dry there....anything to back it up? 3 yrs on non use and tires are done?
Agreed with you
Old 07-07-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

If you keep them just stack them on the sides. They will reshape just fine after being mounted. As for the shelf life on tires, I used to work in a small tire shop that we had inventory a couple years old in odd sizes. But, the Walmart tire center across the road was not allowed to sell tires that had been sitting there for a certain amount of time. It was a year or less.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by OxfordSpecial
Visit different tire manufacturer's websites. Tires have a specific life passed which usage is not recommended. Most are 6 years. As stated, the rubber ages.

Sell them and buy new.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you may store tires but it should be with care, maintenance and proper storage. It can last even up to 10 years.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

I've used Discount Tire quite a bit in the past. When I change out my regular tires for my winter set, they wrap the tires I'm storing in large plastic bags. Granted I only store the winter set for nine months but I would think that covering them with plastic would be helpful should I choose to store them longer.

Quick Reply: How to store tires? For years...