Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

How screwed am I? (see pic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Radical Canine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How screwed am I? (see pic)

My ignition tumbler was acting up(had to turn really hard to get truck to turn over) After forcing it too many times I broke it, now the key won't come out and the auxiliary power is on (had to disconnect the battery.)
I pulled out the tumbler and this shaft/post is broken off.(see pic)
How big a deal is it to get to this part and replace it?
what SHOULD I have done?
And wtf do I do now, lol?

I am very handy and have a lot of tools but am not experienced with vehicles or very good at navigating this site.
I am not intimidated to do it myself I'm just hoping someone can link me to any helpful threads or let me know any tricks or tips to help avoid making things worse.
Thanks -Rad Dog
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Radical Canine

ok, I'm looking at this pic of a replacement tumbler, can I just reach in with a needle nose vice grips and pull out that little nub that's broken off in the ignition and slide a new one in? because that would be splendid.
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Use a small hook pick to pull the green plastic lock plate out then rotate the metal plate behind that so the grooves line up and pull that out, the broken piece can now be removed with ease using a pair of needle nose pliers or similar.

Last edited by RLXXI; 09-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Rad Dog (09-07-2013), Total Automotive Performance (09-16-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Radical Canine

. Thanks for that advice.
before I read this I called the store, A replacement tumbler was only $10, I bought one and to remove the broken piece, I removed the snap ring and the metal plate and got it out. The new one will turn on and off the auxiliary power so now i can at least leave the battery hooked up or even hot post it or install a push button, but the key will not come out when the tumbler is in place and the ignition will not turn over.
It seems the original problem is still there.
Any tips on how to proceed?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Radical Canine

This video is addressing my problem, if anyone else is having this trouble, watch the vid. Thanks for reading. I'll post if I git it fixed.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Radical Canine

After taking off the cover to the back of my column I can see that the actuator is moving and not broken. there is no "Spring" to the tumbler when I turn it towards the start position and I still cant get the key out with the tumbler installed, nor can I shift out of park with the key in any situation so hot posting or adding a push button is useless.
So I am still in need of advice.
I have a non-tilt 91 with automatic. I am now looking at either replacing the whole column or taking it apart and hoping I can see something obviously wrong
Old 09-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Is this column shift or floor shift
Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

In many cases the total key cylinder must be installed in the run position with the key in place. There is a pin on older steering columns that allows the cylinder to fully seat and can only be pulled or put in place by removing the steering wheel. This pin is also connected to the plate in the steering wheel lock and the shift lock. This was the case on my 92 Explorer. Installing the cylinder incorrectly will not allow the small lock pins to retract and release the key. Look at a blow up view of the column on line and you'll see the parts I'm referring to. There is no reason this should require you to replace the column completely.
The following users liked this post:
Rad Dog (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Radical Canine

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Is this column shift or floor shift
it's the column
Old 09-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Radical Canine

Originally Posted by Marc D
There is a pin on older steering columns that allows the cylinder to fully seat and can only be pulled or put in place by removing the steering wheel.
Thank you this is very helpful, I actually found this little piece of paper in the box the new tumbler came in, it was something called "directions" lol.
I uncharacteristically actually read them and it says what you are saying, for my non-tilt column shift i need to remove the wheel.
I'm taking a break to do some bathroom remodeling but I'll try again tonight when it's not 90 degrees in my garage,

Quick Reply: How screwed am I? (see pic)