Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

How to protect a used vehicle from rusting further?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to protect a used vehicle from rusting further?

I just bought a 2006 5.4 with 41K. The truck spent it's life in St Cloud, FL. I had been looking at trucks where I live (which is on the FL coast), but found even 2006 models had a lot of rust likely due to the salt-air environment. My truck is pretty clean with only a tiny bit of rust on the underside of the hood where the sheet metal is bent around and welded to the framing of the hood. The underside is relatively clean with some light dirt.

2 questions-
1) how do I halt further rusting on the hood? Are there any chemical treatment to stop the little bit of rust present?

2) What can I used on the undercarriage to inhibit formation of rust?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM
SpEeDeR

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many products out there, permatex makes rust treatment/paint...goes on white but turns black when hits rusted metal.
Also rust bullet works great too.http://www.rustbullet.com/ Ive used both and had great results. with both products tho very important to knock off all the loose rust. The rust bullet is quite pricey but works amazing.....but be warned.... WEAR GLOVES and mask (very noxious) the rustbullet doesnt come off your hands for 1-2months found out the hard way lol. For undercarriage both work great but id hit it up with a top coat of duplicolor professional undercoating.

Last edited by Moose08; 03-31-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:24 AM

This will help you to protect you vehicles.You can do the following things like: Your automobile Should be Dried,Drill Holes should be Checked,Wheel Wells Should be cleaned properly,by Cleaning the Under Carriage, and last but not least you can service the Car.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:05 PM

I bought a 2002 f150 last august and drilled holes in the bottom of the doors because the factory drain holes dont really get rid of the water. wire brushed all the rust off and coated it with the rustbullet. I havent had any rust since

Quick Reply: How to protect a used vehicle from rusting further?