Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

How do you change the 3rd door latch cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you change the 3rd door latch cable

MY 3rd door won't open. The handle acts like it's locked so I think the cable is broken and needs to be replaced A couples of questions Is there a diagram or video on how to change one out and where can I buy a cable. The local places here (Pep-boys, Advance, Auto Zone , Orileys) do not have a clue where I can get one. I'm thinking a junk yard if not someplace on line

Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by larbec
MY 3rd door won't open. The handle acts like it's locked so I think the cable is broken and needs to be replaced A couples of questions Is there a diagram or video on how to change one out and where can I buy a cable. The local places here (Pep-boys, Advance, Auto Zone , Orileys) do not have a clue where I can get one. I'm thinking a junk yard if not someplace on line Thanks

Did you ever get your door fixed? Because I'm having the same problem and can't get it open.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Just Google the question "how to change a Ford Truck 3rd door cable"I found this on EBay. Also there are some Youtube videos on how to change it. 1997-2004 Genuine Ford F150 third door upper latch and cable 6L3Z-18264A26-A
The following users liked this post:
rkeith68 (11-12-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 PM

This video shows what you can try to do in order to resolve this issue. I used two zip ties this past weekend to relocate the cable to give it a longer "route of travel". They stretch out over time. Just remove the top panel then use screw driver for two screws and a 10mm socket for a nut on the bottom panel, lift up the bottom to remove.

Once you peel back the plastic barrier, you can see the large opening where the mechanism is. Find the cable slightly above the mechanism, put your hand under the cable, palm facing up, and lift up on the cable to open the door (at least that's what I had to do). My top latch was the problem. If your bottom latch is the problem you may need to do more tinkering. Just use zip ties on the spots in the video where he used the wire.

Quick Reply: How do you change the 3rd door latch cable