Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Home made receiver hitch brake light

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Home made receiver hitch brake light

I put 12 LED lights on the backside of an old blank receiver cover and drilled holes for them to shine through. I tied them to a trailer 4-wire plug and plugged them into the light plug. The problem I've run into is(of course), they blink with my left turn signal because I tied them to the yellow wire. They come on as brake lights, but also blink with left turn. I can't be the first one to run into this so I know someone has a solution. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 PM

I could tie 6 of the lights to the right turn and then have 6 lights on left turn, 6 on right turn and all twelve on the brake lights, but I prefer just brake lights.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

That's the wiring for the rear lights to a trailer
I think you'd have to tie into the 3rd brake light to only have brakes
* OR -Easier- Tie into the red wire (?) to one of the tail lights (if color diagram is correct) - or on 7 pin connector if you have that

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 11-25-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Since your brake lights and turn signal lights are controlled through the steering column turn signal switch, and the same bulb operates both on each side, the only way to isolate the brake light function is directly off the foot pedal switch. Even if you run a separate wire from the switch to the hitch you may cause power to back feed the turn signals. I'd try connecting to the 3rd brake light if you have one since it is already isolated from the turn signals. As always I would suggest getting a wire diagram before proceeding.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 AM

I do have the 7 pin plug also. Thanks so much.

Quick Reply: Home made receiver hitch brake light