Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Holley Carburator

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley Carburator

I have a 2 bbl. Holley carb. on a 302. My incoming fuel line dry rooted. When I replaced the hose, gas started coming out of a little front tube on the front of the carburator. I don't think that there was ever a hose hooked to this tube. What's up with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good Old Holleys:

That little tube is the fuel bowl vent....it's spilling gas because the rotted hose has crapped up the float valve which is leaking and the bowl is overflowing. Time to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, and replace the float valve, power valve and accelerator pump diaphragm while you're at it.
And be very careful to avoid messing up any of the little air and fuel port holes. Clean everything up with a good carb solvent, compressed air and a stiff-bristle brush; no drill bits of pieces of wire.
All you have to do is scratch the inside of the passage through a main jet to screw up the flow and make the jet run lean.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 07-24-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
That little tube is the fuel bowl vent....it's spilling gas because the rotted hose has crapped up the float valve which is leaking and the bowl is overflowing. Time to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, and replace the float valve, power valve and accelerator pump diaphragm while you're at it.
And be very careful to avoid messing up any of the little air and fuel port holes. Clean everything up with a good carb solvent, compressed air and a stiff-bristle brush; no drill bits of pieces of wire.
All you have to do is scratch the inside of the passage through a main jet to screw up the flow and make the jet run lean.
Thanks, Kattumaram,
I just got this 1980 F150 and I would like to give the old girl a little TLC and maybe start restoring it. But, I've got to be able to get around in it first. Thanks again for the advice. I'm sure that I will be logging back in to this website again for more advice!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Retired Aerospace

Default Holleys are Good Friends:

The Holley carbs are simple and straight forward devices. Take a look on the Web for info about them; there should be copious amounts that'll give you all you need to make one work for you.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM

make sure your tune up is good befor you do the carb. if the engin backfires through the carb yu'll blow the power valve. good luck.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Carbs are OK but I prefer injectors

Old Clunker,

What Kattumaram says is good info. You can get all the parts he says to replace in one kit that also has gaskets and some specs for setting things like the float drop & choke unloader settings etc. As I recall there is some stamped numbers/letters on this carb that you will need to have to get the right rebuild kit. As far as blowing the power valve is concerned I recall Holly fixed this problem by installing a small check valve in the carb. Check with your parts guy, you may already have the fix in this particular carb. One other thing, check out the float really well. Make sure it is doing its job. I do not believe the float comes in the kit, and if needed it has to be purchased separately.
Kattumaram,

Remember the old glass float bowls for Hollys?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Retired Aerospace

Default Fond Memories:

Originally Posted by Tote-M-Pole
Old Clunker,

Kattumaram,

Remember the old glass float bowls for Hollys?
I do indeed....dam*ed good, simple carb that worked like a charm. In 1957 I had one on my '49 Ford business coupe sporting a rebuilt ported and polished flat-head six truck engine. ....got the engine from Walter's Junk Yard in Middleboro, Mass., for 5 bucks and the carb for 2 bucks. ....dismantled the engine and ran it over to a machine shop in Brighton where it was rebored 60 over, decked, head shaved 0.125, rods checked, crank reground, new pistons, rings and all new bearings. The valves, springs, lifters, cam, oil pump and distributor were all good, just needed to relap the valve seats. The machine work, new pistons, gaskets, rings and bearings cost me $140.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 08-10-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Holley Carburator