Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

High Mileage Oil??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default High Mileage Oil??

Are there any real benefits of using them?

I have an 03 and 04 Taurus and a 98 F150 4.6L all with approx 100K miles on them. I've always kept up with the oil and filter changes and used Penzoil oil every 5000 miles. We put about 12K miles on the cars each year and very few on the truck now.

Are there any reasons to change or not to change to a "high mileage oil" or full synthetic oil? I'd like to be able to extend oil changes.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may do more harm than good to switch to a synthetic oil at this point. Does the car burn any oil? High mileage oil has additives to compensate for the age of the vehicle (more oil consumption between changes, more cleaning agents, etc). Your car will benefit from high mileage oil, but remember once you switch to high mileage, you should not go back to standard oil.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Switching to a synthetic oil and it harming your vehicle is a myth. If you want to change to full synthetic do it. High mileage oil has more addatives in it, but is still not up to the standards of a good full synthetic oil. IF it were mine I would switch it to Mobil 1 full synthetic. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 PM

as to what ngm said he is right that putting syn in at high miles doesnt hurt your car... what does happen though is that it really cleans up the internals... so if you have sludge protecting a gasket that is broke you will get a leak there after using syn. I disagree with mobile one being a good oil but I prefer amsoil.

High mileage oils do have the additives in it to help stop small leaks and also stop usage of oil due to worn rings etc..

I had a 94 mazda b2300 with 153K miles on it and switched it to syn oil and that truck is going on 240K right now.. with a new owner of course..

If you decide to go with a syn oil you can expect to use one quart of oil on your first syn oil change. Not to worry though this is just temporary unless you are already using oil.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

I have never found a site that was not an amsoil site that had amsoil beating Mobil1 I am not saying that its a bad oil, I am not saying its not better, I am just saying I have not found anything that says its better that is not an amsoil supported site. My figuring is Mobil1 has been around longer and with well over 100 k on the Stang and 106k on the F150 its doing good for me.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:22 PM

not a problem. Everybody has to use what they feel is best for them..I definitely dont want to get into a debate about oil. lol... oil alone does not make a man...or something like that..

but mobil 1 syn was developed in 1974 and amsoil syn was developed in 1972.

Last edited by crazykarl; 02-02-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Exxon/Mobil has been around since 1866 and from what I can find Amsoil buys their base products from Mobil. They patented their synthetic lubricant in 1960 patent number US2,937,129 but one of the research books from mobil has a researchers lab book dated May 18, 1949 that the first Synthetic poly-alphaolefin (PAO)was invented. So I still stand by my statement that they have been around longer so they have a good idea of what they are doing... Thanks for playing though.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Oil??