Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Here's one for the books...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here's one for the books...

Hello Everyone,

this is one hiccup that has me stumped...

'02 F150 - 4.2L - XL (basiclly standard at least in my mind)

Out of the blue... when I accelerate getting on the HWY sometimes it is okay other times complete loss of power and I mean it could happen at 35mph or at 75mph.

Does not seem to matter what kind of load it is under nor if I am gentle like around town or flying up a hill it Cuts Out complete loss of power then it will come back with a bit of peppering the gas.

Now what I have done attempting to rectify it.

1. New fuel filter.
2. New coil pack.
3. New plugs and wires .054 gap.
4. New Fuel Pump Relay

Things I have done recently are the EGR Valve, all the top of the motor stuff like that, but that was a couple months ago...I was beginning to think it was the trans because as I sat dead on the side of the road... when I would put it in Neutral the engine roared like a lion as if the problem was not there.

5. New Trans filter and fluid.

Trans is the 4R70W.

This is a new issue I must say.

Complete, Intermittent Loss of power but the engine never dies and runs great when out of gear.

You know as I write this and thinking about it the engine did stall this AM it was 23 degrees here in NJ.

But it started right back up again.

She is not throwing any codes at all.

The fuel tank has too much gas in it to drop it to look at the fuel pump.

So there you have it this is a brand new problem and I am baffled for now...

Any others having this Pain in the backside ?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:59 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

I would guess U R loosing fuel injection, or control over it. Possibly PSI.
The following users liked this post:
Dave009 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a ranger that did something to that effect. The shop I took it to said it was the MAF sensor, may want to clean it just be real careful.
Dave009 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Disconnect the PCM connector and check for corroded or pushed out pins, clean/repair as needed.

PCM connector is that big one on the firewall has about 104 wires coming out of it.

Dave009 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Thanks RNLComp I'll take a look at that, FYI I just finished dropping the tank and putting in a new fuel pump on Saturday 60+ degrees heck why not? She ran terrible for about 8 miles around the general neighborhood near me.
Then it cleared up ran like a bear I was thinking air bubbles etc...and I could not have been happier... till today. doing the almost exact same thing when it is being held at a level throttle, climbs hills spinning the tires (oopps) but every once in a while ppppttthhh keeps running just no throttle let off the gas completely... vrooom jumps right back in the fray. Till the next time it chokes... I put a pint of seafoam in to a 1/2 tank of gas. to see if that helps..

Whew what a unique intermittent mind snapper.

Any way have a great set of Holidays everyone!
Old 12-23-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Can you connect a fuel pressure gauge and put it where you can see it? That might help your diagnosis.
Y'all Ford techs - Are there any fuel pressure/delivery codes that can be set?
Dave009 (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 04:04 PM

Thanks FeatherMerchant I have had the fuel pressure connected prior to the Fuel Pump replacement it was 30lbs at idle and did not move much standing in front and reving the engine via the throttle cable on the Throttle body.

My buddy at out local Ford Dealer mentioned that since I now have a new Fuel pump I might have shot some crud into the new fuel filter (next time I do that replacement in reverse order) So I just hobbled to my auto parts store and got some water remover and a filter so I can try that.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:15 PM

I'm just thinking that "will rev fine under no load but has no power and no codes" could mean that the fuel pressure could be dropping under load.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM

Thanks for your comment, this is the one that makes me think take it somewhere..

What makes me question all that I have done, all of it is I had 20 plus miles of it acting brand new... even now it will roar up hills till it needs to hiccup then it just coasts and kicks in a spins the tires (it's raining really hard here in NJ to day.

Which is also making me think water somewhere...
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM

If you're thinking that there is water in the gas tank, that should be easy enough to figure out. Siphon from the bottom and put it in a clear container and let it sit for a few minutes.
Or disconnect a fuel feed line and let the pump run into a clear container.