Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help!!!!! wrong Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!! wrong Tranny Fluid

Hey guys I lent my 04' F150 to my brother over the weekend to move their home, he told me he had checked the fluids since the drive was going to be a long drive. He told me that it was low on transmission fluid so he added some from the gas station I saw the quart in the bed of the truck it was Dexron does anyone know what I'm in store for? I would like to know what people recommend before being rapped by the dealership.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

1qt probably won't make any difference but if it really bothers you it's easy enough to do a complete drain and refill.

1st thing to do is slide under and locate the inspection hole in the bottom of the bell housing, may or may not have a rubber plug, just pop it out and use a large flat blade screwdriver or the like and rotate the tq convertor around till you see the drain plug, that will drain the convertor, drop the pan to drain the rest out, might as well get a new filter for it, the pan gasket should be reusable. Only thing to keep in mind is the old filter gasket (o-ring) will likely stick inside the bore where it pops in at, get that out with a screw driver or remove the new o-ring from the replacement filter, it won't seat with both in place. Bump it into the bore and you will feel it bottom out. Reinstall the pan and drain plug in the convertor and fill err up, Should take 12 qts total to refill. Mercon V is what it needs.
The following users liked this post:
LucasG (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'm pretty handy I will do was you stated its probably a good time to do a full drain and refill.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:30 PM
The Man in Tuxedo Black

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

You might want to be tested... oh, not that kind of tranny...
Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

This is exactly why I NEVER let anyone else use my truck.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! wrong Tranny Fluid