Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help Something Went WRONG.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Something Went WRONG.....

I followed the sticky on how to replace the pinion seal. Everything seemed to go well. I marked my starting point, counted the rotations, etc, replaced the seal , reassembled to the original mark, filled the gear oil and drove it off the ramps. It immediately felt like it was hanging up inside? Something is catching or impeding the gears from rolling?
What the heck did I do wrong? It will roll backwards smoothly, but going forwards it feels like it's dragging and then catching on something, almost like the e brake is on, but worse.
Additional info. I borrowed some jack stands. The wheels rotate smoothly forward and back, opposite of each other. I even put it in gear on the stands. Seemed to roll smooth enough. I don't get it?

Last edited by dirt addict; 01-22-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up and took it to the local shop. Nothing damaged. They said that I didn't torque the pinion nut far enough in? I turned the exact number of turns from when I removed it, and added 1/8 turn because it was still turning easily.
They inspected everything and said it looked fine.
There is a little oil that is seeping out. I hope it's left over from their fix.....

Quick Reply: Help Something Went WRONG.....