Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help needed

Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

Help needed-image-1087592021.jpg

Had low oil pressure. I checked the level and it didn't register on the stick. I am in the time frame for an oil change but had not done it yet. I added oil and still had low pressure. I pulled the oil pan to check the pick up tube, it looks clean. I noticed the gear in the photo. It is in front of the oil pump and timing chain. Looks to be missing a tooth. What is this gear and what does it drive?
Old 03-22-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Sherman tank engine? Maybe a space shuttle prototype engine? Escalator drive?

Think............
Old 03-22-2015, 09:50 PM

I'm not a mechanic I have no idea what that gear is for. I would prefer actual help not smart *** comments.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by forrestsw
I'm not a mechanic I have no idea what that gear is for. I would prefer actual help not smart *** comments.
Take a close look at what you posted. Do you honestly think anyone can try to determine anything that might help you?

Might as well post a picture of an etcha-sketch and ask how to fix a crooked line.

Nothing smartass about it, we wish to help but can't because you have not provided any specific information...

Or do you expect the intarweb to be staffed with mind readers? Help us help YOU.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 PM

As I said in my original post. The gear is in front of the timing chain and oil pump. Inside the crank case. Someone who know 5.4 V8 will know what the picture is.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a crankshaft position trigger wheel. It is normal to have one gap that looks like a missing gear tooth. The crank position sensor 'reads' the gap I believe. How much oil came out when you drained it? Maybe you just leaked or burned a bunch and its real low?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Also what is your mileage? Worn parts create larger clearances and oil pressure drops. Or larger clearances in the oil pump can create lower pressure. A new pump can fix that problem. Low pressure from worn bearings and such means engine overhaul/replacement time. Do you always change the oil filter also along with the oil? If its clogged or old that could effect the pressure. I think it being real low on the dipstick is an indication of something. More info would be helpful. I would not worry about that gear though.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 PM

175k mi. I put the pan back on changed the filter and filled it, cranked it and still have low pressure. I'm guessing the oil pump is shot.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 PM

I would try the oil pump. Next option is something you don't want to have to pay for. I have seen my father run heavier oil then specified in older engines that are near the end of there life. 175,000 is not a ton but its not anywhere near new either. If it were me I would change the oil pump and then go from there. If the truck is a reg cab 4x2 and fairly beat up a motor rebuild or replacement may not be worth it because it will cost more then the truck is worth. If the truck has lots of options and is really clean it would be worth it. I am still wondering why the oil was too low to see on the dipstick? Another problem is with low oil pressure you wont get oil to all the spots it needs to go to. This will increase engine wear quickly potentially making it burn oil even faster. Keep us posted.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 PM

It's an 06 4x4 super cab lariat. I just dropped a lot of cash getting the ignition coils and cam phaser solenoids repaired. Should have just replaced the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help needed