Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

help- need to remove rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default help- need to remove rotors

putting new frt. pads on my 2013 f-150 4x4 removed calipers and mounting brackets but cannot remove rotors.. sprayed penetrating oil around hub.. still not able to remove.. put pressure on rotor while striking fave of rotor hub with a brass malet. still no good. fast response would be apprieciated as i need truck soon. thanks ,PAT
Old 07-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some rotors have a threaded hole in the disc. Usually it is 5/16 thread(I've been told). If you have that, thread a bolt in there and it can push it off as it threads through an pushes against the hub. My 2011 did not have these holes though. I just took a regular hammer and struck the areas between the studs. I did not have to strike the brake surface area at all. I gave it a few goods taps and they slid right off. You may need to sprat penetrating oil by the stud holes and around the rotor center bore, then try hitting where I said. Careful not to hit the studs!
Front rotors usually are the easy ones. If you plan on re-using these rotors, wash them with brake clean if you get any lubricants on the disc.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Done

Originally Posted by Bowhuntin4ever
Some rotors have a threaded hole in the disc. Usually it is 5/16 thread(I've been told). If you have that, thread a bolt in there and it can push it off as it threads through an pushes against the hub. My 2011 did not have these holes though. I just took a regular hammer and struck the areas between the studs. I did not have to strike the brake surface area at all. I gave it a few goods taps and they slid right off. You may need to sprat penetrating oil by the stud holes and around the rotor center bore, then try hitting where I said. Careful not to hit the studs!
Front rotors usually are the easy ones. If you plan on re-using these rotors, wash them with brake clean if you get any lubricants on the disc.
no holes, but saw a great idea on you tube put a bolt through caliper bracket mounting hole with nut on other side of bracket a run bolt against back of rotor and push right off. Thanks for the reply bowhunter
Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default help- need to remove rotors

Throw a bolt through caliper bracket with nuts so that when you tighten it pushes away from truck. My 14' rt front was frozen and took 30 seconds.

Quick Reply: help- need to remove rotors