Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help, Having Belt & Tensioner Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help, Having Belt & Tensioner Issues

Hello everyone, I am a noobie here and hope some one can help. I have a 2004 F-150 with the 4.6 engine. I am installing a new belt and the old one came off rather easy, with me just pulling and doing a little prying off the top of the altenator pulley. Well, I checked every thing out and all the pulleys and the tensioner seems ok, but when I tried to put the new belt on, it will not go on. The tensioner has the square slot that a 1/2 inch socket fits in and I pulled the tensioner all the way down until it stopped and figured I could have a friend just slip the belt over the altenator pulley, but it was still way off, by about 2 to 3 inches. I double checked the diagram, so could this just be that Autozone gave me the wrong belt?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Talking Problem Solved

Ok every one, I knew something was not right since the belt still would not fit even with the tensioner down as far as it would go. I took the belt back to Autozone and purchased a Gates belt from O'reily Auto Parts and it went on right away without any problem. My advice, do not buy any Valuecraft parts from Autozone.

Thx
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 PM

probably a belt for a non a/c equipt truck

Quick Reply: Help, Having Belt & Tensioner Issues