Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help finding mechanic/shop - Memphis Tn area

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM
GHL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help finding mechanic/shop - Memphis Tn area

I looked for many months to find a Ford truck. I purchased a cream puff 1994. It has oil leaking for the oil pan area. The bolts that I could assess were loose. I tightened the ones I could get to which has slowed the leak. The truck is not blowing smoke but the oil pressure gauge is low. I checked the oil level and the stick indicates the oil level is ok. Since I purchased the truck I have only driven it about 75 miles and the oil level has not dropped a measurable amount. I realize the sensor could be bad but could the bad seal around the oil pan also cause the gauge to read low?

I do not have the tools or skills to do the repair. Can someone recommend a good mechanic/shop to take the truck to. I really want someone that can make this repair, go over the truck, not rip me off or damage something else.

I live near Memphis TN.

Thank you
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

No, a leaking pan gasket, oil seal, valve cover gasket etc will NOT cause your oil gauge to read low. The best way to find out is to put a "master oil pressure guage" on and check your oil pressure that way. To do this you will have to remove your oil pressure sending unt and install the m.o.p. where the sender came out and run your engine. It is not uncommon for the sending unit to be faulty. (your local auto part store should have an oil pressure gauge set)
When you say low, what is it showing, how low is it reading? When a motor warms up your oil pressure will drop as the oil gets hot and thins out.

4 things control oil pressure. Your pressure relief valve (very rarely is the cause) camshaft bearings, and crankshaft bearings and the oil pump itself. A little deeper investigation would be required at this point to determine the cause if it is not the sender unit.

Last edited by Phyer Phyter; 03-09-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
GHL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gauge is at the L

Quick Reply: Help finding mechanic/shop - Memphis Tn area