Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

help with figuring out whats wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with figuring out whats wrong.

2004 Ford F150 5.4 FX4
I have seen this problem around the web but no solutions. Hopefully you guys can help.
What happened:
While driving on the freeway in traffic the cars slowed down so I decreased my speed as well but when it picked back up I could no longer accelerate. The rpm meter would move but the truck would not pick up speed (just coasted down). It sounds like something is grinding under hood (unsure where).
Tried
Putting it in 4 wheel drive (nothing)
low gears (1, 2) (nothing)
Reverse (went for a second then stopped)
Checked Transmission fluid (no shavings, pink in color and doesn't smell burnt)
Known problems
Major Oil leak (currently has oil)
All catalytic converters need replaced (expensive!)
I have heard it might be fuel filter, rear axle, fuel safety shut off, transfer case, or transmission. There are so many could be answers Please HELP!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Sounds like the torque converter. The clue is the RPM's increasing without any movement of the vehicle. It won't be the fuel system or you'd have no RPMs. It's not the rear end or it would have locked up the truck. The cats aren't helping being plugged but they would have to be so bad the motor wouldn't run, you would have a check engine light and it would still move in the factory "limp mode" The trans needs to be removed to replace the torque converter but it is not a huge difficult project. I would not try to drive it until the repair is done since all the shavings will end up in the trans. and then you'll be looking at a $2500 repair. Try Rockauto.com for prices and add $100 for new trans fluid. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
sarahyost (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM

Okay Thank you so much for that it makes more sense. But I did fail to mention that the check engine light is on but it was due to the cats. I had it tested and taken to a shop they said the fuel injectors are making a slapping noise(which i guess is common and nothing to worry about) and the cats need replaced but I didnt have the 3500 to have all four replaced... After looking up the torque converter even the sound its making (grinding) matches whats on your tube.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Now the truck wont start... any suggestions why.. It sounds like it is trying to turn over but isnt grabing....
Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

https://www.autoclubmo.aaa.com/membe...0799232170201A

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: help with figuring out whats wrong.