Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help-Engine turns over, but truck seldom starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help-Engine turns over, but truck seldom starts

Greetings,
Here is what i got...1993 F-150. I just returned from Afghanistan and the wife let it sit while I was gone. I replaced the battery (it was dead). it started up right away, but spewed out alot of white smoke. I let it run for about 5 minutes. I turned it off and tried to start it again. The engine turned over but did not start. I noticed the AMP light come on on the instrument cluster. I threw in some water remover into the fuel tank and let it set over night. The next morning I was able to start the truck. I turned off the truck and have not been able to get the truck to start up again. I tested the battery using a volmeter and it showed 12v. When my old lady tried to start the truck it dropped to 11v. I disconnected the negative battery cable and ran a test light from the negative cable to the negative battery terminal and got clear light. I disconnected the alternater wiring while the test light was connected to negative cable and battery terminal and it continued to light. While keeping the test light on the terminals, I unplugged all the fuses and only one fuse turned out the light. The fuse is a number 50 fuse located in the Power Distrubution Box located under the hood. I believe it is the fuse for the horn, which I disconnected after an accident. All the light are working...but that AMP light sure comes on.What am I missing. I ran the computer and got a message of fuel purge solenoid. The Haynes guide says to check for a burned solenoid located between the starter and the alternator, but I cannot locate it. Any help would be appreciated. I also used a spark plug ingnition tester and all wires gave positive results.

Quick Reply: Help-Engine turns over, but truck seldom starts