Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help! 2004 driveshaft dropped

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2004 driveshaft dropped

Hello, first post and I am hoping I can get some good advise from someone in here. I was driving to work this AM and the 2 piece driveshaft dropped from the center on my 2004 F-150. Its a 4.6 L 2Wd.

Where the center Support Bearing /Hanger Bearing connects to the frame, the connection to the frame has failed. I have attached pictures. I have looked and searched forms on this website and it appears that this simply cannot be repaired, but the entire drive shaft must be replaced? Is this true? Apparantly this is a Visteon driveshaft.

I have called several shops who do not do this work and the only driveline shop in Baton Rouge, LA who does this work has recently closed down, leaving me to call a local Ford dealership for quotes.

Ford is telling me $1198 for the part and $780 labor. I'm not a mechanic and am not looking to take on this repair on my own. Can anyone offer me some solid advise on this. Not looking to shell out $2000 on a repair because a metal plate failed. Help!

Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

Sometimes the front shaft and carrier bearing are an assembly and can't be serviced. Sometimes they can't. Unsure on the F150.

At the worst if you had to buy the front shaft carrier bearing assembly, the only other major item for assembly would be to press on the yoke on the south side of the carrier bearing. Any machine shop should do this for $50 or less. Then you can simply side in the front shaft, bolt up the carrier bearing, slide on your rear shaft being mindful of the tab phasing and connect to the pinion with four bolts. There's not $780 worth of labor here. At the worst there's a couple hours labor here.

Quick Reply: Help! 2004 driveshaft dropped