Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

HELP!! 2002 Auto Trans Won't Go Into Reverse Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! 2002 Auto Trans Won't Go Into Reverse Gear

The other night while out driving down to the store in light rain, I noticed at one point that putting the tranny shift lever into R would not engage reverse gear.

After running thru the gears a couple of time, including park, reverse worked again when R was selected.

When I got home, I had once again lost the ability to engage reverse gear by selecting R.

I check the fluid, all good and new looking. The shifter cable and housing on the tranny looked ok at first glance.

All the forward gears, neutral, and park work ok. Anyone heard of this before? Could there be an electrical sensor issue involved?

Thanks for any info or suggestions
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to hear answer to this question as Im having the same problem
Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Seems Strange:

Since all the forward gears engage I think we can throw out a bad shift solenoid. If the tranny oil looks good and has been regularly serviced, I think we can toss out a sticky valve body. The only other culprit I can imagine is a miss-set or squirrely MPS module located at the tranny shift lever.

Try removing, cleaning and reinstalling the connector at the module. If that fails, then check the module for proper alignment with the shift lever and readjust as required.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
Since all the forward gears engage I think we can throw out a bad shift solenoid. If the tranny oil looks good and has been regularly serviced, I think we can toss out a sticky valve body. The only other culprit I can imagine is a miss-set or squirrely MPS module located at the tranny shift lever.

Try removing, cleaning and reinstalling the connector at the module. If that fails, then check the module for proper alignment with the shift lever and readjust as required.
could you direct me to a really good video that demonstrates this please? my truck wont drive in reverse as of 25 mins ago.not sure what the deal is,whats wrong or where to start.im spooked into thinking the whole tranny needs to go.rather look at other options 1st.i was driving in reverse when i heard a clunk.from there it wont drive in reverse.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Dripper
could you direct me to a really good video that demonstrates this please? my truck wont drive in reverse as of 25 mins ago.not sure what the deal is,whats wrong or where to start.im spooked into thinking the whole tranny needs to go.rather look at other options 1st.i was driving in reverse when i heard a clunk.from there it wont drive in reverse.
You realize you opened up a 6 y/o post?

Sounds like the shift tube is broken or the bracket is loose, locate the shift cable at the base end of the steering column, there is a plate that bolts to the column that attaches and it's mounting bolts have a tendency to loosen over time.

Last edited by RLXXI; 11-21-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You realize you opened up a 6 y/o post?

Sounds like the shift tube is broken or the bracket is loose, locate the shift cable at the base end of the steering column, there is a plate that bolts to the column that attaches and it's mounting bolts have a tendency to loosen over time.
yes I'm quite aware.never know someone else right behind me could pop up on here iso of the same issue and post on the same thread.I already started a new thread.I browsed around and saw this one and just HAD to reply/ask.

shift tube.....loose bracket......got it.

thing is.if the mounting bolts broke off would they make that "thumping" or "clunking" sound below me? the sound could have been on the bottom up front,on the side,right below,not sure.i do remember hearing a "thunk" sound,as if something popped or broke off of something else.i have alot of mechanical experience.im not familiar with trannys.This is all new grounds.

your best best of the reverse going out (all other shifts/gears are working accordingly) is from the shift tube or a loose bracket? dbl checking before i get started on the issue,physically.

Last edited by Dripper; 11-21-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!! 2002 Auto Trans Won't Go Into Reverse Gear