Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Heater knob panel getting hot to the touch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater **** panel getting hot to the touch

Hey guys,

First, thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any insight here. I spent some time googling and poking around the internet before I decided to bug any of you for some help, but I couldn't find anything!

My issue is that the temperature **** panel in my 1995 XLT keeps getting hot to the touch when my heat is on. Like, it burns my finger if I touch it, and it's concerning enough to make me worried it'll catch on fire. I'm not sure if that's an electrical issue, or something else. Maybe some sort of insulation that's split/missing/worn out..?

Thanks guys....I appreciate you taking the time to help me out here!

Last edited by sarapeg; 12-31-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump.. can anybody help this guy?

I've never heard of that on any vehicle. I'd be worried there was a wire rubbing on the cable that's finally rubbed through its insulation and is now shorting to it. I'd pull that apart pronto and check for something like that, because electrical shorts in automobile dashboards rarely have happy endings.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by patbob
Bump.. can anybody help this guy?

I've never heard of that on any vehicle. I'd be worried there was a wire rubbing on the cable that's finally rubbed through its insulation and is now shorting to it. I'd pull that apart pronto and check for something like that, because electrical shorts in automobile dashboards rarely have happy endings.
Hey, thanks for bumping this up. Not that it matters - I just think it's funny - but I'm not a guy. Haha.

Your response is actually pretty helpful in that it encourages me to rip that thing apart and check it all out. It seems like it would definitely be one of those issues that are an easy fix if you catch it, and otherwise, if you don't, then it's a huge mess.

Maybe someone else will have something more specific to add...but if not, I think I'll be taking the console apart tomorrow. Thanks again!!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

The panel itself may be going bad and need replaced. If you don't see anything wrong I would replace the panel.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sarapeg
Hey, thanks for bumping this up. Not that it matters - I just think it's funny - but I'm not a guy. Haha.

Your response is actually pretty helpful in that it encourages me to rip that thing apart and check it all out. It seems like it would definitely be one of those issues that are an easy fix if you catch it, and otherwise, if you don't, then it's a huge mess.

Maybe someone else will have something more specific to add...but if not, I think I'll be taking the console apart tomorrow. Thanks again!!
Wha? A name like Sarapeg and you're not male?

So it's the temperature ****, not the fan speed ****, right? Does it get hot immediately or only after the blower is running for a longer period of time?

My 97 would get quite warm but not too hot to touch.

The heater and defroster functions fine?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by chickenwire
Wha? A name like Sarapeg and you're not male?

So it's the temperature ****, not the fan speed ****, right? Does it get hot immediately or only after the blower is running for a longer period of time?

My 97 would get quite warm but not too hot to touch.

The heater and defroster functions fine?
Hahah, imagine that...!

So it's actually that whole front panel, but it seems to be hottest right around the **** that controls the actual temp (blue to red). It doesn't get hot immediately, but very quickly after being run on high fan, high heat. It cools down relatively quickly..at least away from being burning hot and just hot...when I turn the temperature and the fan speed down. Heat/defrost/everything works just fine as it should, aside from the heating up issue.

It may be perfectly normal or at least not a big cause for alarm, but I'm the GIRL (haha) who is always listening for noises and smelling for weird smells when it comes to my rigs.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sarapeg
It may be perfectly normal or at least not a big cause for alarm, but I'm the GIRL (haha) who is always listening for noises and smelling for weird smells when it comes to my rigs.

No, its nor normal. Sounds like maybe the blower wire is shorting to the temperature control cable. At lower settings, the inline resistor could be limiting the current to the point it doesn't generate much heat that makes it out to the **** itself.

Paying attention to subtle changes like new noises or weird smells is actually really smart -- its one of the best ways I know to catch problems before they become serious.

And sorry for not catching on that you were a girl.. didn't mean to slight you or anything (not that it sounds like you felt slighted), just wasn't paying too much attention.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by patbob
No, its nor normal. Sounds like maybe the blower wire is shorting to the temperature control cable. At lower settings, the inline resistor could be limiting the current to the point it doesn't generate much heat that makes it out to the **** itself.

Paying attention to subtle changes like new noises or weird smells is actually really smart -- its one of the best ways I know to catch problems before they become serious.

And sorry for not catching on that you were a girl.. didn't mean to slight you or anything (not that it sounds like you felt slighted), just wasn't paying too much attention.
Thanks for that idea. I'll definitely check into that tomorrow. If I find out anything I'll post back here to help people who may have this issue in the future...and if anyone else has any other ideas, keep them coming please!

I agree that it's smart to be that way. Some of my friends baffle me when they have serious issues that they just let go until their cars about literally explode one day. Not my style at all! Haha.

And no worries about the male/female thing. I definitely just thought it was funny. I've called on ads before to buy trucks or motorcycles and the men I talk with ALWAYS end up asking, "So, is this a gift for your husband or boyfriend..?" and I'm like, "NO! ALL MINE!" Hahah.

Thanks again for your help!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Is the only thing electrical on the panel the fan switch? It could be overheating from being old. I do that sometimes.
While you have the panel out, look around the switch for discoloration from heat. Check the connections to see that they are tight.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
Is the only thing electrical on the panel the fan switch? It could be overheating from being old. I do that sometimes.
While you have the panel out, look around the switch for discoloration from heat. Check the connections to see that they are tight.
The only things electrical are the three *****...one for fan speed, next one for temp, last one for vent control (floors, highs, defroster). I'll pull it tomorrow and take a look and check for dos colorations/bad connections/stuff that just looks old and ready to die. Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: Heater knob panel getting hot to the touch