Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Headlights and taillights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights and taillights won't turn off

Well, it seems like reading through many online posts that this is a common problem. So, here is my story.

I just got back from a camping trip last night with my wife, son, and mother-in-law (she's a keeper!) Anyway, I notice that as I am unloading my truck, the headlights and taillights are still on. So, I figure that my little boy was messing around with the controls and turned them to the "On" position. Well, I go to check and instead they are in the "Auto" position. So, I went ahead and switched them to the "Off" position, and they would still not turn off even thought the truck was not running. I then looked at the fuses underneath the dash on the drivers side and pulled these, but then I decided it would just be easier to pull the battery cable. So, now the lights are at least off, but I don't want to play this game every time I drive my truck. I also noticed that it takes a while for the odometer to display as well after starting the truck.

Any ideas on where I should check first instead of taking it to the dealer? I have read that some have solved a similar problem by switching the headlight relay or disconnecting the automatic headlight sensor, but would this solve the problem of the taillights and the odometer issue?

Any insight would be much appreciated!!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I bet it's a bad headlight switch. Only other thing it could be is the BSM's internal relay.

Try disconnecting the connector on the back of the light switch and see if the lights go out.

Quick Reply: Headlights and taillights won't turn off