Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

to header or not to header

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default to header or not to header

OK so I have ran into a problem per exhaust ( not that anything is wrong ) but I am hearing a lot of back and forth conversations about headers ( both long tube and short ) so bare tacts will they give you more mpg's + HP + TQ? How do they work in conjunction with cats? What els would I need to do ( tb mm increase?) Air intake ? Plus what kind of cats I see conflicting ( well based arguments ) on " high flow "
I know I want the deep rumble I'm use to out of my 68 mustang with true duel exhaust please help
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

First of all, there are no bolt on products that add enough horsepower, that would be enough of a difference, that you would notice. You will probably lose gas mileage, change the power curve of the engine and most likely start throwing codes. Depending on what state you live in, headers are allowed but they would require you to run your cats anyway. Cold air intakes are a waste for performance, they just make more sucking noise when you step on it. If you're set on a better sound look into a 2 chamber FlowMaster muffler or a Rosch exhaust system from the cats back. Good luck
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc D
First of all, there are no bolt on products that add enough horsepower, that would be enough of a difference, that you would notice. You will probably lose gas mileage, change the power curve of the engine and most likely start throwing codes. Depending on what state you live in, headers are allowed but they would require you to run your cats anyway. Cold air intakes are a waste for performance, they just make more sucking noise when you step on it. If you're set on a better sound look into a 2 chamber FlowMaster muffler or a Rosch exhaust system from the cats back. Good luck
Thank you
Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a difference when i added headers on my 4.6, some hills i add to down shift to climb and now I can stay in the same gear. It gave the truck a little different rumble. So for a few hundered bucks its a mod that's worth doing. Add some high flow cats and a decent exhaust kit and you'll have a very nice sounding rig. Headers arent all hype
Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohh and my headers are Pacesetter short tubes

Quick Reply: to header or not to header