Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Hammer out a bumper dent?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Canada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hammer out a bumper dent?

I have a dent on the passenger side of my bumper, is it possible to hammer it out? Ive never done this before, what would I use that wouldnt damage it but would be effective. This is the only pic i have of the dent..
Attached Thumbnails Hammer out a bumper dent?-picture-12.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Ryan

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

That looks pretty bad...I did something similar on my '95. I took the front bumper off and laid it in the grass face down so I didn't scratch it up, took a peice of a 4x4 board and laid it over the dent and hit the board with a sledge instead of the bare metal. It straightened it out some, but you could still tell it was there. At least the little dent was better than the big one
Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It really is not practical to hammer out a bumper. The problem is the "chrome" will be all munged up and the area will rust, and having the bumper re-chromed will cost more then a new bumper. Which are readily available.

Now that I am at my home computer I can correct this entry, I don't know why I thought your truck was a 1995.

I was looking at the front bumper for your 2007 and I see it costs considerably more then ones my1995 F150 use. On top of that there is a $128 dollar freight charge ! My advice is go to a junk yard to find one. I was looking at some online sources and they seem to cost somewhere between 200 and 300 or so dollars.

Last edited by transmaster; 12-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Hammer out a bumper dent?