Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Half shaft nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half shaft nightmare

Maybe another opinion on this one. I have an 04 F150 non Heritage, After changing the half shafts on both sides of the truck it seems that the drivers side has hit a snag. 75% of the rotation is normal, spins free no prob but 25% of it hangs up and causes a hop in the front axel at 10mph or more. I don't think the hub is not locked up on that side because it will spin free if the half shaft is not attached to the differential at the same time. I don't believe it to be the differential because the same applies if the half shaft is pulled away. So to further frustrate the problem the old and new half shaft are the exact same size. So it is not binding because of length issues.
I swapped the driver and the passenger side half shaft (they are the same) to see if it would cause a change and nothing, same problem. Info would be great if anyone has run across this. Thanks
P.S. truck has a mild lift 3in body and 3in suspension
Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back on the road

Just an update,
ended up swapping out the axles from one side to the other to note any changes, and low and behold a manufacturer defect was the underlying cause of the whole thing. Seems that the cups on the inner end of the axles from Car Quest’s rebuilt CV Axle vendor have a ridge in them that does not allow the axel to move freely. Switched out for another axle with no problems. Just a note if you have to buy from Car Quest for an axle you can stand the axle upright on a table and move it through it's regular motions if it catches on a wide circle motion you have a problem. Sure hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: Half shaft nightmare