Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Glowing Exhaust Manifold!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Glowing Exhaust Manifold!?

I have a 1986 F150. Inline 6, Straightpiped to the manifold. 4 spd.

The truck has been acting tempermental since the summer weather broke out a few weeks ago. Truck warms up, engine will cut out in 2nd or third gear upon acceleration. Only does it when started back up after sitting a few minutes. the heat gauge also runs about 65 percent of the way up in really hot weather too. but i can see the thermostat open up, because itll settle down to halfway. But i've been noticing at night when i get home from work, the manifolds are glowing red hot. And after idling or shut off, disappear within seconds.

Does anyone know what could cause this. Obviously the manifolds glowing red hot is the underlying problem here. I want to get this fixed and cleared up to see if my truck runs better.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

So many variables can cause your concerns, the most obvious would be the oxygen sensor, and in no particular order, ect sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fan clutch, plugged radiator, thermostat, water pump, catalytic convertor, etc...... Take it to a tech that knows how to work on it before you start throwing parts @ it.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Default update

More than likely, ill take it to a shop around here. I live 30 miles from the nearest city, but we have a Ford dealership and mechanic shop around here. Probably the best place to start. I've already wasted money throwing parts at it .
Old 06-28-2015, 01:56 PM

Also, cat's are off. They both went bad. In Montana we have no emissions laws, so i had the mechanic rip them both off and out a glasspack where the original muffler was.

Quick Reply: Glowing Exhaust Manifold!?