Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Gear shift cable to transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shift cable to transmission

How to change the Gear shift cable for F150 with floor shift 2004 model ?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

There is no easy way to do this job. You have to remove the interior shroud around the shifter first. There are hidden clips that attach the cover to the shifter plate that must be pried off. They break much of the time. There is no repair for these so exposed screws will be needed. Once this is removed the shifter assembly can be unbolted from the floor, exposing the cable attachment to the lever. It is attached with a E clip that is pried off. feed the cable under the truck and remove the ball connector at the transmission and loosen the jamb nuts on the mount. Install the new cable in reverse. Good luck BTW make sure the trans in in park when you start the project.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of this same project right now on my 2004 Lariat crew cab 4x4. I got everything apart without damaging anything, but I'm having an incredibly difficult time getting the new cable back through the firewall and by the floor-level duct work. I'm shocked I'm having so much trouble with this. Any tips?

Quick Reply: Gear shift cable to transmission