Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Fuel Filter Changed 2 Months Ago

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Changed 2 Months Ago

Three months ago I changed my fuel filter when I changed oil as I always do. This time I only waited two months before I changed it and this is what I found. It was really nasty. So for now I'm going to change it every two months and I'm going to change where I get my gas. Right now I get it at an old mom and pop station where its usually the cheapest. So I'm going to change it every two months, go to a better gas station and see if it clears up. If it doesn't, then I'll let it get down to quarter of tank and pull tank and clean it out. I'm retired so I don't drive that much anymore so changing it at certain mileage doesn't come into it that much. By time summer gets here I hope it clears up.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Filter Changed 2 Months Ago-dirty-gas.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

What year truck?

That is a extremely dirty filter forb3 months. I have changed many that havnt been changed in years and haven't seen one that dirty. Mom and pop stores normally don't have the fuel turnaround like the bigger chains do so the fuel sits in the tank long but damn that's like black!!

Wayne
Old 12-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I usually change my fuel filter every 50K to 60K. I ran a fleet of Ford trucks (over 100) for 10 years and I've never seen gunk in gas like that before. Was this the filter in the frame rail under the truck or an aftermarket unit in the engine bay? What ever happened I would add a bottle of "Stabil Fuel Additive" or "SeaFoam"to your tank right away to protect the engine fuel system.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Default Fuel Filter

This was the filter on the frame under drivers area. One thing that hit my mind was did someone put something in my tank just to be mean, I don't know. Now the truck is chugging when I take off from stop sign or light. Im going to take the new filter off again today to see what gas looks like in it after just one day. If its bad still, Im afraid I'm going to have to drop my tank and clean it out. Maybe the sock filter on the pump is dirty too. I will know more today after I exchange the filter again.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Where ye live? I want to avoid getting gas in your area if I ever drive there!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Gotta have something in your tank besides gas...injectors probably getting clogged..
Old 12-09-2014, 10:58 AM

Default Fuel Filter

Yes there is something in my tank. I put a bottle of Sea Foam in there to clean the injectors and other parts. I put new filter on yesterday and it was ok. Im just going to have to change it more often, like every two months and get gas at one of the better stations around here. No more getting gas at mom and pop stations that have been there for long time. We have a Walmart that just built a station where we go and there gas is always the cheapest price around here now. I also found out I screwed up. On firewall is what they call the vapor management valve that has hose going to throttle body and hose going back to vapor valve on top of tank. Well, I removed the plastic pieces that hold hoses to the valve thinking their were causing my whistling problem when I start truck up in cold weather and put new hoses on directly to valve without plastic pieces. Welll, doing it this way messes up correct pressure that is suppose to be in the system and that is what is causing my chugging when I take off. So I had to get new plastic pieces from ford and their not cheap. Cost me 113.00 for new hoses and plastic pieces. I will get them today and find out if the chugging stops. If it don't, I have an appointment with ford to put truck on dyno machine to see if they can spot any problem. I know truck is 13 years old but we love the old truck and its been good to us, especially since we got it paid off year ago. I get the parts for valve this morning so I will let you know if that fixes my problem. I have to make sure truck is running for next month and half cause my wife had breast cancer and had surgery and had small cancer noid removed but has to go thru radiation for twenty days and cancer center which is 50 mile round trip so gotta get her there. Ty all for help. By way, my truck is a 2001 F-150 with 5.4 litre XLT Supercrew cab.

Last edited by milehighbear3; 12-09-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Ok, new parts for vapor valve came in and put them on. Took truck out on highway and it ran good till I put my foot into it and got up to 100mph and then backed off and it started chugging. It chugged until I ran a steady 75 for awhile then it quit chugging and ran good. So I put my foot into it again and let off and it started chugging again then stopped after awhile. I drove it for about 20 miles and stopped and filled it up with premium gas. Took off back home and when I got onto the highway I put my foot into it and it only chugged a little bit. Got into it again and let it wind down to 75 and drove it back home rest of way which was about 10 miles. It didn't chug anymore. I even put my foot into it and let off and still no chugging. Maybe one or two of injectors had dirt seeing how dirty gas was couple days ago. Will let it cool off and then take it out again and see. Will let you know.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:15 PM

Ok, here's the latest. I replaced the hoses and fittings for vapor management valve, drove it, still chugs, replaced the vapor mgt valve itself and unhooked the battery to relearn the pcm. Took it out and drove it around town and on highway. This time the only time it chugged was when I was doing about 70-75, kicked it into passing gear, let up on gas and then drove a steady 75. When I pushed on accelerator that's when it chugged for about 5 minutes and then it quit. I was about 15 miles from home and on way back home I did not kick it into passing gear but ran about 70-75 all way. Then drove thru town and came home and it did not chug all last of way home. Why does it do it when I kick it into passing gear then clear up and run good as long as I only drive sensibly. Could it be ejectors still a little bit clogged or could it be butterfly valve getting stuck, I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking about taking it to ford dealer and having them put it on machine to see if anything jumps out. The check engine light has not come on or any other trouble lights during this whole thing. I'm stumped. I also went around and tightened all hose clamps for any vacumn leaks.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I would drop and clean the tank if it were my truck..

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Changed 2 Months Ago