Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Front pad/rotor replacement 2013 XL

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front pad/rotor replacement 2013 XL

Hey everyone, looking for a little help. At 40k miles I have noticed a little squeak at low speeds, its not consistent and I can make it stop with slight brake pressure. I also feel a little front vibration when braking while going down hill. I figured my rotors have a little warp age. So on the to do list is pad/rotor replacement. What is the best/proper way to go about this without messing up the ABS? I have heard clamp the line to avoid fluid going back to the valve but also heard not to do this. So what is the best way? Also, while am at it, I'd like to flush/replace the brake fluid. How do I go about doing this? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

Im no expert, but I have gone 10yrs on original BF, little dark on changing, but no problems.
I just use a C clamp to compress the piston in the caliper, never had a problem with a 1995 with anti lock front breaks.
By the way, I HATE anti lock breaks. The only car wreck I was ever in was caused by them.
Dry pavement, 40 mph, someone pulled in front of me, slammed on breaks, locked them up , knew I was gonna miss them, then the antilocks kicked in.
It was like taking my foot off the break. crash... DAMN YOU GOVERNMENT MANDATES !
Old 10-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

It is a good idea to replace your brake fluid every three years regardless of miles. I wouldn't be too worried about damaging the ABS system. I've done hundreds of brake jobs and never caused an ABS issue, even when just using a c-clamp to back flow the old fluid into the system.

Here is an excellent how to video for replacing brake fluid the easy way, this is exactly how I do it.

As far as the brake job itself just be sure to clean and lubricate the caliper slide pins. Also clean and lube all of the contact points where the brake pads contact the bracket that holds them. A lot of uneven brake pad wear and poor pedal feel can be attributed to brake pads sticking in their brackets.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I miss Lee's "Get off my loan" posts when he was tirading about everything in his new truck I can see why he hates breaks, I have brakes...

I never change brake fluid, gone up to 15 years (oldest I've owned) without changing. I use a c-clamp to open them up, never had an issue.

Mine has a pulsation at times also. 3 year warranty expires in late December, I will take it in before that for them to probably cut rotors, and then replace them 10 - 15,000 miles later when they warp again.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I would recommend never having rotors turned. It just makes them thinner and even more prone to warping again and sooner.

I always suggest that people simply purchase rotors with a lifetime warranty from Napa. Whenever they warp again just go get you another free set.

Quick Reply: Front pad/rotor replacement 2013 XL