Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Front end grinding

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end grinding

My truck is a 2010 f150 with 4x4 at 110km

I've been having a grinding/growling noise from my front end since hitting a deep pothole on the passenger side. This noise almost only occurs at low speeds (under 10km/h) and while turning, such as in pulling out of a parking spot. It can be felt inside the truck as a grinding feeling (like metal on metal) with vibration. This seems to happen when the truck is cold, and goes away after driving it for a while. My mechanic could not diagnose the issue because it would not make the noise when he took it out, and he said that the front end was all tight. This sound has gradually been getting more noticeable (to myself) as I've been driving it for over a month like this. I jacked it up and did not noticed any play in the wheels as I thought it might be a wheel bearing gone bad.

Edit: I also did accidentally drive it a short distance on dry pavement shortly before this started.

Any ideas on this issue would be great

Last edited by brendon; 05-07-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Maybe IWE??
Mine sounded like what you described. they energize the front hubs when they lose vacuum. Maybe when your engine warms up it creates enough vacuum to make the noise go away.
Just guessing
Old 05-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Yeah
Maybe IWE??
Mine sounded like what you described. they energize the front hubs when they lose vacuum. Maybe when your engine warms up it creates enough vacuum to make the noise go away.
Just guessing
What did this repair cost you?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:28 PM
On down the highway

Originally Posted by brendon
What did this repair cost you?
Mine was caused by an inexperienced local shop trying to put on a front level kit..they broke both IWEs, axle bearings and a complete hub assembly...that one cost over 2 k...they got lucky and ford warranty covered it.
one way to check is to pull a vacuum on them and see if it holds...there should be a central vacuum connection drivers side above the wheel well.
another would be to disconnect the vacuum and let it fully engage in 4wd..be careful on dry pavement with that..anyway maybe someone else can chime in...i am not all that mechanical, just remember what I read and heard when mine messed up
Old 05-07-2015, 08:31 PM
On down the highway

Something else came to mind... is this noise only happen going over a small bump with a hard right or left turn? Is it quick popping noise??..if so it could be the steering stops bumping, and lubricant would solve that
Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Yeah
Something else came to mind... is this noise only happen going over a small bump with a hard right or left turn? Is it quick popping noise??..if so it could be the steering stops bumping, and lubricant would solve that
Mine seems to do this on any surface and only at low speeds with no popping noise.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

does it do it in 4H

Quick Reply: Front end grinding