Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Front brake sticking when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake sticking when warm

Have a 1999 ford f-150.. had a problem with my driver's side brake 'sticking' once in a while...replaced the rotor, caliper and pads...problem has come back within a week.

Does not happen when brakes are cool but when they are warmer...brake on that side will stick and not release. let it cool and the brake seems to be released.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default brake release

Take a look at the flex hose from the frame to the brake. It's happened where the inner tube swells and restricts fluid pressure release.
Happened to me.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Pimp

Did you grease the caliper slide pins? They need to be clean of corrosion and lubricated with a moly based greas in order to let the caliper retract properly. You might also be air-bound. When was the last time you bled the fluid?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 AM

Default John D

Thanks for the reply Mr. B.

To answer the question yes, I lubed them in fact, replaced the rotor, caliper and pads on both fronts.

As far as the bleeding....passenger front bled normal. Problem brake (front driver) did not bleed well when pumping the brake....Turned on motor and brake bled better...

2 items to note....1) this truck has ABS on the fronts. Was suspicious of ABS and still may be. 2) Am replacing the brake line on that side this weekend...Suspicious this could be a break line issue not letting fluid return since did it with 2 different caliper systems.

Interesting...
Old 04-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Pimp

If the problem brake bled better with the engine running, I would look for a vaccum issue with the power booster. I'm not sure what engine you have, but on the 4.2 there is a vacuum line from the upper intake to the power booster. I have had vacuum issues on mine in the past and have usually found a cracked or carbon blocked lint to be the culprit. I have a buddy that's a genious with these types of problems. If replacing the line does not help you, I can ask him to post some help for you because any advice I give you would just be a guess. Let me know how it all works out. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by j.low
Take a look at the flex hose from the frame to the brake. It's happened where the inner tube swells and restricts fluid pressure release.
Happened to me.
J.low is more than likely corrrest. The hose is restricted not allowing pressure to release. As you drive the caliper builds up heat from the braking system and expands the fluid in the caliper. Since the hose is restricted the fluid has no where to go expect push out on the caliper pistons, actuating the brakes. The fact that the brake doesnt bleed correctly confirms this fact. The calips bleds better with the engine running because the boost is applying more pressure to the brakes allowing more fluid to be moved. I personally would start with a $15 hose becuase I went about trying to bleed to ABS.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 AM

Smile Jed14

Thanks for the information. I'll replace the front brake line today and check on that vacuum line while doing so....Plan to watch Talledega if time allows. - John
Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Smile John D

So this thread is complete....replacing the caliper's brake line did it !!

After pulling the old one off found that flow was blocked in 1 direction.

Strange to see this happen since fluid system was very clean...suspect breakdown in brake line as J.Low mentioned in an earlier post.

Thanks for everyone's input and help. John

Last edited by jed14; 04-26-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Front brake sticking when warm