Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Found coolant on ground yesterday, now, no heat!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found coolant on ground yesterday, now, no heat!

I drive an 07 STX (4.6L) and came out of work yesterday and noticed coolant on the ground under the radiator support. I have not had any problems to date with leaks. The cross support under the radiator was wet, the hoses were wet, and the reservoir was bone dry. I added a couple glasses of water just to see if I could find where it might be leaking and literally watched the reservoir empty as fast as I poured in the water. I can't tell if the reservoir is cracked, a hose is bad or the radiator. Now this morning, I start the truck to let it warm (temps just started dipping to freezing and below), come out, and the heat was fading in and out. I have had no spikes in the temp but noticed it sounded like it was sucking air off and on on the drive to work. I plan on fixing myself but do not want to go ripping things apart searching blindly for a leak without some sort of direction first. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Probably a hose or a nipple on the overflow tank. Is your radiator full, when you open the cap?

The fluid will expand when hot, into the reservoir, and pull back when cold. If the reservoir leaks, then your rad will be underfilled after a hot/cold cycle.
The following users liked this post:
ShortFord112 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM

No, I just checked whilst on my break here at work and the everything looks clean and dry on the reservoir (out to radiator and over flow hose). Everything that is wet is passenger side so it looks to be leaking from the bottom center or bottom right side of radiator and then either running down the passenger frame rail or spraying from the fan. I did not have time to tear the protective shrouds off to verify though. Is the rad cap under one of these plastic protective covers?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The rad cap is the overflow reservoir cap, need to pressure test the system to pinpoint the leak so you don't replace the wrong part.

The heater will do exactly what yours is doing when the system is low on fluid.

The following users liked this post:
ShortFord112 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM

Thanks guys! I am going to garage it tonight and get things stripped away so that I can find the culprit. I at least have a direction to work in now. I would have been working blindly had I not asked. Given the location of the coolant, I figured this is where I needed to look but I seen everything from water pump seal, to head gasket, to frost plugs to crack in the block or heads.

Quick Reply: Found coolant on ground yesterday, now, no heat!