Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ford F150 - 96 turns over.. but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f150 turns over but doesn't start please help

i have a 96 f150 inline 6 5 speed manual .. i stopped at a gas station filled up went to leave and my truck just did. it turns over but wont start. got it diagnosed and they said fuel pump i changed the fuel pump and it still wont start.. it does however start and idle when i use starting fluid.. as soon as u try to give it gas it bogs down and dies.. when i turn on the ignition key the fuel pump neither old or new makes any noise. my front fuel pump was already bad the fuel gage works for both tanks . what could this be.. i really need help bad this truck is my families only trans and our jobs depend on this i cant find anyone that knows what this could be..please help i do have spark.

Last edited by brian87; 07-26-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't mention I'f you checked the fuel filter?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What you need to do is do a pressure test on the fuel rails. There is a test point where a pressure gauge is attached. A fuel pressure gauge is available from Action Automotive for $25 it has a fitting that screws into the test point on Ford Fuel rails. This is a invaluable tool to have in the tool box. You do need to get the fuel pump issue you have fixed. I agree skc72 replace the fuel filter if you have not done so.

Summit Racing has a nifty little fuel pressure gauge that mounts permanently on the test point so you can check the fuel pressure anytime you want.

Last edited by transmaster; 07-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually it turned out to be the switch in the cab to go from front to back tanks.. it was melted inside.. now i have to find out why it shorted out .. thank you both for your replies i appreciate the feed back

Quick Reply: Ford F150 - 96 turns over.. but doesn't start